HBO price increase > $14.99 /mo Feb 1st

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
More Dish Network price increases Feb 1st - Movie Packages, AEP, changes

HBO will be increased to $14.99 starting Feb. 1st.
AEP goes up to $89.99 starting Feb. 1st
Movie combinations will now be charged as follows ...
(1) HBO or Playboy $14.99 / month
(1) SHOWTIME, STARZ, or CINEMAX $12.99 / month
(2) Any two of the above (even Playboy) $22.99 / month
(3) Any three of the above (even Playboy) $30.99 / month
(4) Any four of the above (even Playboy) $37.99 / month
(5) All five of the above including Playboy $44.99 / month
If you take AT120 or DishHD silver then you can get two movie packages (even Playboy) for only $20 more per month. Showtime is excluded from this deal.
The price guarantee on AT60 is the package without locals, not AT60 with locals. This could hint to a price increase in locals next year.
Those that get the Family package for $19.99 can still purchase the movie packages for the prices listed above.
The Family package for $19.99 will be eligible for all new customer promotions. Retailers will get a hefty commission slash if they sell a system with this package so do not expect retailers to sell you a system if you want it or promote that package. It is coming out of the retailers pockets.

Last edited:
First I've heard of this.. Has not been in any official release from Dish. If they do raise the price, HBO Zone better be added.

Stargazer said:
This was just released to retailers in a Facts Blast tonight. This is an official release.

Interesting, they must be adding Zone February 1st then. I remember the last HBO increase was when HBO Comedy was added

Dish did not announce any new channels being added Feb 1st to the premium movie channels so that is the same thing as them not adding any.

Price increases on HBO:

1996 $10.00
April 1998 $10.99
~2000 $11.99
1/13/2001 $12.99
2/1/2002 $13.99
2/1/2006 $14.99

Showtime and Cinemax

1996 $10.00
April 1998 $10.99
Feb 1, 2002 $11.99

Starz
Early 1998 $9.00 (Two Channels)
April 1998 $10.99 (4 channels)
Feb 1, 2002 $11.99

Last edited:
Time sure does fly, it seemed like yesterday when it was raised to $13.99. I know that HBO was always considered a premium and was the movie package of choice among many of my customers.

Stargazer said:
Dish did not announce any new channels being added Feb 1st to the premium movie channels so that is the same thing as them not adding any.

Maybe they'll throw us a bone and add Zone on the 1st. They seem to be adding a lot of things on Feb 1.

Chris Walker said:
Interesting, they must be adding Zone February 1st then. I remember the last HBO increase was when HBO Comedy was added

How about they do us all a favor and get rid of HBO Latino or pressure HBO to not WASTE bandwidth mirroring HBO for the most part with Latino and phase it out and just add SAP and roll the original programming that's currently on Latino into HBO. I wouldn't have a problem with that and it would save Dish carrying a channel that's worthless for most of us. Remind me doesn't the original HBO Latino programming, the MOVIES that are Spanish, well they don't have subs do they so what the**** about me if I wanna watch a Latin movie translated for me. For crying out loud they sub "Epitafios". Oh and thanks a whole ****ing lot for not repeating the programming on that so I'm ****ed if I miss one episode HBO.
So Stargazer this means that the HBO/Cinemax thing for $17 a month is gone?! What's the point of pairing Cinemax with HBO then if there will be no special package price for both like before? I'm basically being encouraged to dump Cinemax and replace it with Starz which I may do for a while though Starz is kinda broke on showing new ****. They kinda VOOM sh*t in terms of loops.

---Edited for language. (TNGTONY)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarang said:
How about they do us all a favor and get rid of HBO Latino or pressure HBO to not WASTE bandwidth mirroring HBO for the most part with Latino and phase it out and just add SAP and roll the original programming that's currently on Latino into HBO. I wouldn't have a problem with that and it would save Dish carrying a channel that's worthless for most of us. Remind me doesn't the original HBO Latino programming, the MOVIES that are Spanish, well they don't have subs do they so what the**** about me if I wanna watch a Latin movie translated for me. For crying out loud they sub "Epitafios". Oh and thanks a whole ****ing lot for not repeating the programming on that so I'm ****ed if I miss one episode HBO.
So Stargazer this means that the HBO/Cinemax thing for $17 a month is gone?! What's the point of pairing Cinemax with HBO then if there will be no special package price for both like before? I'm basically being encouraged to dump Cinemax and replace it with Starz which I may do for a while though Starz is kinda broke on showing new ****. They kinda VOOM sh*t in terms of loops.
---Edited for language. (TNGTONY)

HBO Latino is blocked from my guide, I forgot it was even there.

dragon002 said:
no sean,

doom never had aep.. all they had was the same as now, a loop, of same ole , same ole
Sorry to disagree but I recall the pricing to be identical for each premium... Not that it matters but I found the pricing similarity to be funny.... I subscribe to HBO and Showtime separately so it will affect me but I think both channels are worth the price. I wouldn't pay for starz.

These packages started at $14.90 on VOOM when Voom first started. Then they went up to $18 per package if you choose to do a la carte for each package. You may see the $18 per package in a not so distant future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)