HBO Questions

I have a Samsung 75 inch Smart 4k TV that came with the HBO NOW app. I can also access HBO NOW through Roku and I find using the built in app preferable than going through Roku.

Aside from potential ease of use considerations (not having to switch an input), what do you prefer about it?

Yeah, that's always the question about when to jump in

Well, I didn't have much choice. My Samsung PN64E7000 died, and no replacement panels were available because Samsung had stopped making plasmas. I actually tried a few things before settling on the Sony, which was on-sale for half price since the next year models were coming out. Ah well, I don't really want to spend that kind of money any time soon anyway.

Just got another answer from HBO Now saying that they can't help because my brand new Sony is unsupported. Here is my response, probably too harsh. BUt after having to watch 36 episodes of Deadwood buffering twice a minute I feel vindicated:

You people have been messing with this for 10 day without a clue on how to fix this. Now you tell me I dont have a supported model.

I was able to find a solution on the internet that worked, not from you bumbling idiots

I hesitate to give this to you since you probably won't implement it

Thanks for wasting my time

Reactions: DWS44
Just got another answer from HBO Now saying that they can't help because my brand new Sony is unsupported. Here is my response, probably too harsh. BUt after having to watch 36 episodes of Deadwood buffering twice a minute I feel vindicated:

You people have been messing with this for 10 day without a clue on how to fix this. Now you tell me I dont have a supported model.

I was able to find a solution on the internet that worked, not from you bumbling idiots

Why don't you tell them how you really feel! :biggrin

Aside from potential ease of use considerations (not having to switch an input), what do you prefer about it?
Well yes, the ease of use is a plus, and it seems going through Roku at times causes some buffering. I don't know if watching through Roku adds some additional overhead or something else.
I don't actually need to switch inputs, the TV does that for me.

I've found the standalone apps to be more susceptible to buffering especially the Starz app. Using Amazon prime I don't get the same buffering so I'm thinking it has something to do with bandwidth allocation.
I was planning on dropping HBO after GOT but now see a new 'Big Little Lies" is coming so will wait. First one was surprisingly really good.

This is one of the downsides of streaming vs. Cable/Satellite. If you don't control it, end-to-end, it is really hard to support it. As for not supporting the Sony TV, that is crap, it is Android TV, so it is "supported." I assume you aren't interested in trying via Amazon Prime Channels?

As for not supporting the Sony TV, that is crap, it is Android TV, so it is "supported."
I am assuming he asked the CSR if the support Sony TVs, the CSR cheat sheet lists Android TV instead of Sony so the CSR's response was not supported.

Was that the fault of the end user or CSR not knowing that new Sony TVs run Android? I leave that up to the reader to decide.

The HBO app runs quite nicely on my 900e.

I am assuming he asked the CSR if the support Sony TVs, the CSR cheat sheet lists Android TV instead of Sony so the CSR's response was not supported.

Was that the fault of the end user or CSR not knowing that new Sony TVs run Android? I leave that up to the reader to decide.

The HBO app runs quite nicely on my 900e.
Why would it be my fault? They even asked me what version of Android I was running.

Reactions: ncted and joegr
Why would it be my fault? They even asked me what version of Android I was running.
So my conjecture was incorrect as it seems both you and the CSR used the term Android TV in addition to Sony TV, if would be your fault if you had failed to mention that your Sony runs Android TV as you cannot automatically know that a CSR would know the OS of all the smart TVs out there. In this case the CSR is wrong as the HBO app runs on Android TV, both Nougat and Oreo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)