HBO streaming service could launch in April for $15 per month, work on Apple TV

Hopefully there won't be a time frame to watch episodes on their tv shows (like you finally get to sit down and watch Game of Thrones and the oldest one currently available is episode 3 of the current season)

If that $15/month turns out to be true, and if it offers all of HBO/HBO Go in the process, that will be cheaper than many of the cable/sat providers. Since we don't actually know what it will include it will either be a bargain or not.

EDIT: In fact, if they showed everything that HBO shows now, but only made the live show available the next day, I would consider it a great deal. Even for the live sports like boxing, that they do. I don't tend to watch those until the next day anyway.

Nah, since it's not TV but HBO (hehe), there shouldn't be any of this having to wait until the next day to see something.

With all the devices, smart TVs, consoles and tablets etc out there its kinda odd to chose an "exclusive launch partner".
Besides, I don't know anyone w/ Apple TV..including myself.

For 15$ a month....really will depend on the quality and quantity. IE- Remember those Sunday night premieres where HBO GO crashed.

Well, they chose the exclusive partner with outdated hardware poorly. I have to believe Apple paid for this to peddle more of the Apple TV's collecting dust along with the price break they announced.

ooohhhh price reduction for AppleTV box too. big whoop.

i do not understand the exclusive agreement either. sigh. Whatever.

Last edited:
Hopefully there won't be a time frame to watch episodes on their tv shows (like you finally get to sit down and watch Game of Thrones and the oldest one currently available is episode 3 of the current season)

HBOGO has their seasons back to season 1 episode 1. Many long dead shows are on there too.

They should at least let you subscribe at the website, and then watch HBO on your computer (or on your TV, by using HDMI cable) without needing an Apple TV.

They should at least let you subscribe at the website, and then watch HBO on your computer (or on your TV, by using HDMI cable) without needing an Apple TV.
If you have an iOS device you can subscribe on that, then watch on your computer.

Apple TV exclusive at launch is just rumored for a 3 month period. http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/HBO-Now-A-3-Month-Apple-Exclusive-At-Launch-132906

Probably a good way to test it and get the glitches out before the floodgates open.

That's the way I look at it. Partnering with a hot brand like Apple, with a client base that has been shown many times and in many places, to be one that will break out the old CC and buy is the right place at the right time. And it seems the subscription payments/billing will be handled by Apple which allows them more time to set up other billing methods before they open it up to other devices.

Dropping the price of the AppleTV to $69 brings it right into the impulse buy range, the box is dead simple to set up and rock solid in operation. It is nearly impossible to screw one up. Well for those that actually want to use it for what it is designed for, the hackers will manage somehow I'm sure. :)

Reactions: mike123abc
HBO Now launched on Apple TV and iOS. Looks pretty much like HBO Go. I thought it was going to include streams of the live HBO channels, but that is not in it. Signed up for the trial, we'll see if I keep it.

Reactions: TheKrell
HBO Now launched on Apple TV and iOS. Looks pretty much like HBO Go. I thought it was going to include streams of the live HBO channels, but that is not in it. Signed up for the trial, we'll see if I keep it.

Yeah, looks exactly like HBO Go and seems to offer the same things.

I did check on boxing shows and it seems some newer ones are there, but it looks like the show is broken up into individual fights. Since I can't remember when the last live match was on HBO, I'm not sure how current they are. Assuming that the fights will be delayed no more than a day, I may keep the service. Got the trial and will know better soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts