HD Access

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You can couple OTA with a 3 LNB dish. However, if you want HD, you WILL have to upgrade to the new 5 LNB dish which carries Ka and Ku frequencies which you can NOT couple with an OTA signal. Keep in mind all HD in the near future will be off MPEG2 and more than likely not on the current 3 LNB satellites.

If the only HD I'm interested in right now is OTA ... and I keep the 3 LNB Dish, will this work? (watching an OTA program and recording another OTA program?)

Of course, if I knew that I could get an installer that I could communicate with and seemed to be 100% adept at what he was doing ... I might not mind his making holes in my roof and upgrading the dish.

If the only HD I'm interested in right now is OTA ... and I keep the 3 LNB Dish, will this work? (watching an OTA program and recording another OTA program?)

Of course, if I knew that I could get an installer that I could communicate with and seemed to be 100% adept at what he was doing ... I might not mind his making holes in my roof and upgrading the dish.

Yes. You need 2 diplexers. One to combine the signals and one to split them back out again before they go into the receiver.

Yes. You need 2 diplexers. One to combine the signals and one to split them back out again before they go into the receiver.

Thanks ... diplexers under control ... that's how we get HD locals now. :)

Would I need to do anything else other than move the cables from the old receiver to the HR20 and run the setup?

You can couple OTA with a 3 LNB dish. However, if you want HD, you WILL have to upgrade to the new 5 LNB dish which carries Ka and Ku frequencies which you can NOT couple with an OTA signal. Keep in mind all HD in the near future will be off MPEG2 and more than likely not on the current 3 LNB satellites.

Yeah what he said. I thought you wanted the new HD so that is why I said that.

You can watch a pre-recorded program, but unless something changed (and it may have), you can't record two channels at once with a single cable connection (even if they are both OTA).

If you can gut it out until the upcoming Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) solution, you can get full 5LNB functionality plus OTA on two tuners over a single cable.

You can watch a pre-recorded program, but unless something changed (and it may have), you can't record two channels at once with a single cable connection (even if they are both OTA).

If you can gut it out until the upcoming Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) solution, you can get full 5LNB functionality plus OTA on two tuners over a single cable.

I will be watching with interest and waiting (impatiently) for the SWM to be available. I can live with not being able to record two channels at once, but I really don't want to lose my OTA access.

Now ... if I could just get beyond my concerns about installing a new dish, I might go for the full upgrade.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts