HD and Blu-Ray

No duplicate threads please! One is enough.

For school. riiiiight.

Warning: Marketing study for HD-DVD trade-in program. Trying to figure how much you would pay to buy those titles yet again.

Since I own both formats I thought this survey is at least thought provoking! I never considered a trade-in program. With few exceptions I am very unlikely to re-purchase as BDs those titles that I already own as HD DVDs. But some type of exchange might be of interest. One option mentioned was where you would not actually surrender the HD DVD disk but simply provide proof of purchase (barcode?) for some incentive towards the same BD title.

What is the purpose of an exchange? It might boost BD sales slightly but only at a significantly discounted price. It's not like there's a war to be won! I assume those who wanted to completely abandon HD DVD already did so...

Probably true in my case as well. I've wrestled with it a bit. In fact I haven't bought any more HD DVDs since I got the BD player, but the high BD prices certainly slowed my overall purchase rate! I still have about 1/4 of my 85-title HD DVD collection that I haven't seen yet which is also contributing to my delay in getting more. Another problem is I have 2 duplicates. (Serious CRS here!) So I don't want to engage in any more in those mass fire-sale purchases I was doing until I write my whole list down to avoid more duplications...!

Last edited:
Well, I still buy HD-DVD when I find something I want at a low price. These days it is under $8, and there is very little I don't have that I actually want.

The problem as I see it is that a fair amount of the WB stuff has been showing up for $15 in BD on sale. I guess I don't see them going below that price on a trade in, so where is the incentive?

Besides, my HD-DVDs still play just fine. Picture quality is as good as BD. Sound is acceptable. Why buy, especially on catalog titles?

New titles are by necessity Blu-Ray, and I will buy a $15 BR catalog title over a $10 HD-DVD just on general principles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)