HD and Locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brookswashere

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 11, 2004
I currently have Dish Network with the local channels.

I just got a new HDTV and would like to start seeing some programming in HD so I am looking at going with Direct TV. I know my locals won't be in HD but can I still get them from the dish like I do now or will I have to rely strictly on my OTA antenna?

Voom?

Have You considered Voom?

Through the end of this month you can get in with 0 installation, 9.95 rental fee, No contract...

Pretty much NO RISK...

This price includes the OTA antenna and installation...

Just an FYI... ;)

And BTW, A LOT more HD channels than DirectTV or Dish...

You can locals in 80% of the US (and after 7/1/04 90% of the US via DirecTV. No one else has more locals, and Voom users have reported all sorts of challenges getting locals with their receivers. Regardless, you won't need an OTA unless your local has their broadcast in HD...then you would need one. ONe last option is that if you live in an area that has a CBS owned & operated station, you can get the national CBS feeds via DirecTV as well. As far as other HD goes, Direct currently has 4 base HD channels, 3 pay HD channels (HBO HD, etc.), and one HD pay per view channel. They will be turning on more by year end.

DirecTV will have 15-20 total HD channels by year end. they will be adding locals by satellite in HD over the next few years, which should start next year. this has been annouced and is official. no-I didn't make it up.

brookswashere, what local channels do you currently get from Dish Network? We have no idea if you can receive local channels from DirecTV until you tell us the area where you live or the local channels you receive.

I live in Dallas so I am 99.9% sure I can get local channels. I just didn't know that if I got the HD setup if I could still get them from DirectTV in a non-HD format.

I heard rupert is trying to get INHD1 and INHD 2 hope they Get them and TNT- HD and Starz and encore hd hope not only local hd

yes they will add INHD 1&2 sometime this summer-INHD has indicated that to me.

brookswashere, the HD receivers can still receive SD channels, such as the locals. Yes, you can get your Dallas locals from DirecTV, as well as any HD versions you can pick up via antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)