HD Channel Count Up - HD Quality Down

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
All these have HD MPEG4 counteparts on there respective channels. Therefore it now fair to include them:
HBO East
Showtime East
ESPN2HD
ESPNHD
TNT-HD

BTW: This thread is crazy to think that the HD channels PQ are not good!!! D* have all channels except the MPEG2 channels in FULL HD Resolution. The PQ is better than all others carriers at the moment!
Those are still the MPEG2 signal being mirrored to the regular channel numbers. TNTHD 75 is the exact same MPEG2 signal as TNTHD 245.

All these have HD MPEG4 counteparts on there respective channels. Therefore it not fair to include them:
HBO East
Showtime East
ESPN2HD
ESPNHD
TNT-HD
Indiana is correct. The 5 channels you listed aren't MPEG4 yet. When you see HBO HD East on channel 501, it is just a remapping of the channel just like 509 is a remapping of channel 70. If you want proof, unhook your BBCs and you still will be able to watch the HD version of 501, 537, 206, 209, and 245. But you won't be able to see the HD version of HBO West on 504 since is it coming from D10. The HD versions of 501, 537, 206, 209, and 245 are still coming from the old satellites.

The new HD channels on Directv10 are better than anything on E*. However (as stated by others) channels like the two ESPNs and HDNets, look much better on E*. I'd also give E* the edge on HD locals PQ, but I think this varies by market (what encoders D* uses for each city, etc).

But I am sure in time D* will get all HD channels in MPEG 4 or at least I hope. ESPNHD used to be my favorite HD channel to show to friends on what HD is now I skip that channel

Of all the HD services I have had to date I give them the below picture quality ranking.

#1 Dish
#2 Comcast
#3 DirectTV

I had Verizon FiOS for a year before coming back to D* when they brought the new HD online and I can tell you that the new mpeg4 HD stuff rivals FiOS HD, which is thought to be by far the best.

All these have HD MPEG4 counteparts on there respective channels. Therefore it not fair to include them:
HBO East
Showtime East
ESPN2HD
ESPNHD
TNT-HD

BTW: This thread is crazy to think that the HD channels PQ are not good!!! D* have all channels except the MPEG2 channels in FULL HD Resolution. The PQ is better than all others carriers at the moment!
Espn, espn2 and tnt are not being broadcast in mpeg 4 on D on any channel. those are just remapped versions of the mpeg 2 channels. Probably getting the guide ready for the switch at some point in the future, but it hasnt happend yet. The same goes for the older HBO and Showtime channels(cant remember if its east or west)

edit: oops, i see someone already corrected you here

Espn, espn2 and tnt are not being broadcast in mpeg 4 on D on any channel. those are just remapped versions of the mpeg 2 channels. Probably getting the guide ready for the switch at some point in the future, but it hasnt happend yet.

I would expect them to go mpeg4 after the next sat is up and operational .

Jimbo

I would expect them to go mpeg4 after the next sat is up and operational .

Jimbo
yeah thats what i expect them to do also. It would be more of a giving the people with legacy equipment more time to switch than anything

I think the gameplan is to wait until right after the SuperBowl (peak TV buying season) to begin the forced upgrades to MPEG4.

By Mid-Feb, they will have 100 HD channels, and I believe the plan is to have MLB-EI SF on MPEG4 next season (April 1). Same for next year NFL-ST SF. All that would be left would be to move the DNS to MPEG4, and the remaining channels in the 70's range.

I can't see them providing duplicate feeds much past mid-08.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts