HD Channels are looking like SD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jillian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Georgia USA
I have noticed that for the last several days , the HD channels are all looking like good quality SD channels and can't understand why this has happened. I checked and found that there was an update to the receiver on March 6 , 2014. I an thinking that this is why. I think that update changed something . I have contacted DIRECTV Service on Twitter two times and so far they haven't answered. This isn't the first time that an update has changed my picture quality although , I am sure Directv will say otherwise.

Do any of you have an explanation for this ? Resetting the receiver has not helped . And this is on ALL HD channels both lower and higher channels . All are affected. Don't have that crispness and sharpness like it had before that update. If that didn't do it , I cannot imagine what has changed this.

I'm not familiar with Direct receivers as I am with DISH, but did you check the HD output, is it set to auto resolution or at least to 1080I resolution?

Thank you both. I checked my settings and the resolution is set to 1080i . All the settings are like they have always been.

One more thing - even though it says 1080I or native it may not be - toggle it to something else and go back see if that does it.

Have you chrcked in the guide that the channels showing are actually HD? I've seen the HD channels drop off the guide before, is why I ask.
Example: Check channel 231 in the guide, the network name should be FoodHD, if it doesnt have the HD at the end, then try resetting and see if they show up again.
If they dont, then call direcTV, tell them HD channels arent showing in the guide.. then ask them to "Resend authorizations" once thats done, reset again. This has fixed it everytime I've seen it happen.

Have you chrcked in the guide that the channels showing are actually HD? I've seen the HD channels drop off the guide before, is why I ask.
Example: Check channel 231 in the guide, the network name should be FoodHD, if it doesnt have the HD at the end, then try resetting and see if they show up again.
If they dont, then call direcTV, tell them HD channels arent showing in the guide.. then ask them to "Resend authorizations" once thats done, reset again. This has fixed it everytime I've seen it happen.

Yes. These are HD channels. The SD duplicate channels are hidden if not used. The channels are the same as they have always been. Nothing has been changed. The Channels say HD at the top. Example CNN HD , BBCA HD etc. There is no difference in the quality of the SD and HD. Something went wrong somewhere.

Call D* and ask them to re authorize your HD on your recvrs (all of them).

Sounds like that option may have been disabled for some reason.

Curious, do you have OTA channels available to you ?
If so, how do they look ?

Do they look like HD or good SD ?

Also check ... disconnect the HDMI cable if thats what your using and re connect it, see if that does it.

You are using an HDMI cable, right ?

I'm with Jimbo on this one. If these are your local hd and you do not get OTA, you will think it may be sd. My local hd have so much compression. The other hd channels however look the way hd should look.

Curious, do you have OTA channels available to you ?
If so, how do they look ?

Do they look like HD or good SD ?

Also check ... disconnect the HDMI cable if thats what your using and re connect it, see if that does it.

You are using an HDMI cable, right ?

No I don't have OTA . I called D* today and they had me reset the receiver , unconnect and then reconnect the HDMI cable . Nothing worked . I will call them back and have them re authorize the HD on the receivers. I will wait and do it Friday since it is already well after 10PM Eastern .
Thanks for telling me this.

Last edited:
No I don't have OTA . I called D* today and they had me reset the receiver , unconnect and then reconnect the HDMI cable . Nothing worked . I will call them back and have them re authorize the HD on the receivers. I will wait and do it Friday since it is already well after 10PM Eastern .
Thanks for telling me this.
They are open 24 hours if you are impatient! I know I wouldn't wait until tomorrow

I've heard about this on the other forum, especially on newly updated software, that it mysteriously change resolutions and have to change back manually, even though the 1080i or 720p were checked on display settings, and also having sd duplicates enabled somehow.

Apparently is for SW updates on HR34/44 not sure on HR2x

Last edited:
Try tuning a HD exclusive channel like AXS.tv 340 or Velocity 281. Also try holding the exit button to go to SD mode then repeat.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Turned on the TV this morning and the HD channels look a lot better. Don't understand why as I haven't called them to re authorize the HD It might just sort itself out. It has before. But I am going to call D* and get them to re authorize the HD receivers.

Thank you everyone for your help . I really appreciate it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)