HD channels default picture in 4:3 not 16:9?

jxcheng

Original poster
Oct 4, 2009
California
I have a vip 222 receiver and Samsung 1080p LCD HDTV.
They are connected using a HDMI cable.

The HDTV output is set at 1080i in the receiver. However, by default, HD channels (e.g., channels 301 and 303) are in 4:3 not 16:9 mode. When I press the "info" button on my TV remote, I can see that the signal is indeed 1080i.

I could press the format button to change the picture from normal mode (4:3) to stretched mode (16:9). But picture quality suffers.

How could I get native 16:9 picture on the HD channels?
I do not like the vertical black bar in 4:3 mode.

Thanks,
Jim

Look around at the other HD channels. Is this happening on all the HD channels all the time?

At any given time, an HD channel might be broadcasting a show where the Original Aspect Ratio is 4:3 and they are (amazingly but rightfully) broadcasting it un-modified.

I have a vip 222 receiver and Samsung 1080p LCD HDTV.
They are connected using a HDMI cable.

The HDTV output is set at 1080i in the receiver. However, by default, HD channels (e.g., channels 301 and 303) are in 4:3 not 16:9 mode. When I press the "info" button on my TV remote, I can see that the signal is indeed 1080i.

I could press the format button to change the picture from normal mode (4:3) to stretched mode (16:9). But picture quality suffers.

How could I get native 16:9 picture on the HD channels?
I do not like the vertical black bar in 4:3 mode.

Thanks,
Jim

Make sure you have the receiver set to 16:9 in the menu. It might be set to 4:3. If that is set correctly, make sure your TV is set to output to 16:9 in it's menu. Also, make sure the programming you are watching is actually in HD. Just because it's on an "HD" channel doesn't mean it's being broadcast in HD. You could be watching programming that is only being broadcast in 4:3.

Sounds to me like Jim needs to hit the format button (#) on his Dish remote..........;)

Ed

As opposed to the format button on the TV remote.

Channels 301 and 303 are HBOs, and I've very rarely (almost never) seen 4:3 content on these channels, so I'd guess that you should check your VIP 222 settings: Menu -> 6 -> 8 -> Aspect Ratio. Hopefully you're somehow set to one of the two 4:3 aspect ratios, instead of 16:9.

Thanks for all the reply.
The setting of aspect ratio in my VIP 222 is indeed 16:9

It looks like that channels 301 and 303 might somehow be non-HD on my receiver, because I was able to find a few HD channels (e.g., channel 300) in 16:9 by default.

Regards,
Jim

Not using mapdown

Thanks for all the reply.
The setting of aspect ratio in my VIP 222 is indeed 16:9

It looks like that channels 301 and 303 might somehow be non-HD on my receiver, because I was able to find a few HD channels (e.g., channel 300) in 16:9 by default.

Regards,
Jim

It sounds like the HD is not mapped down to your SD numbers. Can't remember how to do it but my HD numbers are set to be the same as the SD channel numbers.

My 211 is set up like this:

Menu, 6, 8, Channel Display->HD channels Enabled and HD Priority both selected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)