HD Channels lost

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JRE262

Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Southeast
I have been experiencing increased "searching for signal" on HD channels. Finally they are completely gone. The signal strength on the non-HD transponders (I'm assuming they are non-HD) is from 85 to 99. I have many 0's listed.

1. Do I have an LNB gone?
2. I adjusted the dish with... better, worse, better by 2 way lol, no meter and got it back for a while, the numbers were never over 60ish on the missing transponders (that are missing now).
3. If the LNB is gone, is there a simple way to identify which of the three it is?

I know I will probably need to give more information, sorry I'm still new on here.

I have been experiencing increased "searching for signal" on HD channels. Finally they are completely gone. The signal strength on the non-HD transponders (I'm assuming they are non-HD) is from 85 to 99. I have many 0's listed.

1. Do I have an LNB gone?
2. I adjusted the dish with... better, worse, better by 2 way lol, no meter and got it back for a while, the numbers were never over 60ish on the missing transponders (that are missing now).
3. If the LNB is gone, is there a simple way to identify which of the three it is?

I know I will probably need to give more information, sorry I'm still new on here.

It sounds like an aiming issue to me. Is your mast plumb? Can you post all of your signal levels? Have you had a tech look at it?

The regular channels are fine, do you mean ALL the levels?? I can list them but would a sampling be enough? No I don't intend to call a tech out, I'm not a satellite tech but I am a Sr. Electronic tech at work (read industrial electrician, heavy instrument tech, plc and DC drives). I am going to learn Satellite tech the hands on way I presume. I have the levels adjusted in the high 90's for the regular broad cast transponders, I just can't get the HD to come in now, it was low 60's now is zero. I'm running on empty, worked last night and registered grandson for school today. Nap time then register another grand, I'll post the signal levels this afternoon. Thanks for replying, will be back

Johnny

Last edited:
I tried to reply and it was lost in translation, if I double/triple post please forgive me.

ok, let's try this:
99 S all zero, 16 total:
1-8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
9-16 - - - - - - 0 0
17-24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

99 (c) 14 total:
1-8 8 0 10 0 0 0 11 0
9-16 0 0 13 10 0 0

103 (c):
1-8 76 81 76 83 74 79 76 80
9-16 77 79 75 80 76 79

103(s):
1-8 95 33 79 51 74 37 - -
9-16 - - - - - - 69 88
17-24 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

17-24 - - - - - 89 0 95
25-32 0 91 95 94 0 95 0 95

1-8 95 96 91 58 95 66 89 95
9-16 95 97 93 43 94 97 92 97
17-24 91 100 89 48 92 97 85 96
25-32 84 97 79 97 87 96 86 97

much better I could not stand that

Last edited:
The 99 and 103 s are spotbeams, meaning it's normal to have low signals on many transponders. However the c's are national, and it looks like you are way low, especially on the 99. After a proper alignment, you should have at a minimum, mid 80's, and many of us have 90's on those sats.

There's a video somewhere around here, showing how to properly align the dish using the dithereing mechanism. It may be at solidsignal.com.

It looks like your dish is way out of alignment. If you aren't able to do it yourself, you will have to pay for a service call from Directv.

Ok, any recommendations on a meter to use, without breaking the bank. I know I can do it with the meter, I can't be worse than calibrating some of the instruments I am/have been responsible for. I'd rather invest in something to use over and over than pay someone else to do. And thanks for the responses, I am going to become more knowledgeable in this one way or another :).

Ok, any recommendations on a meter to use, without breaking the bank. I know I can do it with the meter, I can't be worse than calibrating some of the instruments I am/have been responsible for. I'd rather invest in something to use over and over than pay someone else to do. And thanks for the responses, I am going to become more knowledgeable in this one way or another :).

You may be able to use the signal meter in the receiver/dvr, but know that it is slow to respond and you must make adjustments accordingly. There is a video on the solid signal website that describes the process. Solid Signal | Digital Converter Boxes, DIRECTV® Systems, HDTV Antennas, DISH Network, satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories Good luck!

:) I've used the meter built in before, I would like information on a "real" meter to use at the dish.

thanks again for the patience.

I use the bird dog meter. It works well. New they go for about $500, but you can find used ones on Ebay for much less.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)