HD Channels off air every night???

Robdoggz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
Stockton, Ca
Several Hd Channels "Off Line" at night

Several HD Channels have been going off line for the past few days maybe weeks for me? I have been staying up later at night now trying to get used to a possible grave yard job so i stay up watching tv and several of the HD channels seem to go off line at 11pm my time.
I was wondering if this is normal and if so what am i paying for HD when they are off line from like 11pm to 5am. The channels i saw off line were Cinemax hd, Universal hd, Science channel hd,Nfl hd, Nat geo hd,and 2 or 3 more cant remember i was too upset and just went to bed. I am about to call them if this trend continues i plan to watch most my tv late night if this job goes threw as i will be sleeping in the day time and awake at night. I am not going to buy into a dvr because they turn off the channels i want at night lol :mad:
P.S sorry my typing is bad pretty tired and had a tooth worked on today and i am groggy from the drugs.

Last edited:
Why every night do half of the HD channels go off air at about 3am? And some of them, TBS HD will not let you tune the channel at all...I am usually watching tv at this time unlike some others and I know I can always go to TBS SD but why? Why every night does this happen only on the HD channels?

i saw this happen sunday night through wednesday night this week. it was about 3 or so channels per night (seemed to be a rotation). it stopped on my 622 on thursday. if i recall, the only HD channel i saw scheduled to be offair for the next week is CinemaxHD on like next wednesday for like 2 hours.

I was thinking that maybe they were doing some sort of maintenance on the transponders or something (and i dont know squat about that sorta stuff).

i recorded an offair block on ESPN2, and it actually wasnt offair (recorded an espn2 show), but i was getting a black screen on some of the other offairs earlier in the week.

funny thing is that i checked the late night guide each day and, except for cinemaxhd next week, the display of 'offair' was done daily. i.e. you coudnt see what was going to be offair for the next day, only what was offair that day(night).

hopefully it is just a temporary thing.

Several HD Channels have been going off line for the past few days maybe weeks for me? I have been staying up later at night now trying to get used to a possible grave yard job so i stay up watching tv and several of the HD channels seem to go off line at 11pm my time.
I was wondering if this is normal and if so what am i paying for HD when they are off line from like 11pm to 5am. The channels i saw off line were Cinemax hd, Universal hd, Science channel hd,Nfl hd, Nat geo hd,and 2 or 3 more cant remember i was too upset and just went to bed. I am about to call them if this trend continues i plan to watch most my tv late night if this job goes threw as i will be sleeping in the day time and awake at night. I am not going to buy into a dvr because they turn off the channels i want at night lol :mad:
P.S sorry my typing is bad pretty tired and had a tooth worked on today and i am groggy from the drugs.

Not seeing that here. Note that in NY we use 61.5.

i saw this happen sunday night through wednesday night this week. it was about 3 or so channels per night (seemed to be a rotation). it stopped on my 622 on thursday. if i recall, the only HD channel i saw scheduled to be offair for the next week is CinemaxHD on like next wednesday for like 2 hours.

I was thinking that maybe they were doing some sort of maintenance on the transponders or something (and i dont know squat about that sorta stuff).

i recorded an offair block on ESPN2, and it actually wasnt offair (recorded an espn2 show), but i was getting a black screen on some of the other offairs earlier in the week.

funny thing is that i checked the late night guide each day and, except for cinemaxhd next week, the display of 'offair' was done daily. i.e. you coudnt see what was going to be offair for the next day, only what was offair that day(night).

hopefully it is just a temporary thing.

Must be changes to 129, as I am not seeing that off 61.5.

For a few nights last week they were doing some periodic maintenace on some of the "transponders" (actually encoders at the uplink center) where a few HD channels are. I saw that, but I was still able to watch the channels I tuned to even when the guide said "off air" (61.5°). What happens is they give themselves a window when programming may be interrupted while they perform maintenance. But most of the time the channels are still available to view with no guide info.

See ya
Tony

This happens between 3 and 6am eastern and the EPG says "off air". So most of the time it would not affect recordings. Maintenance has to be done some time! :)

See ya
Tony

If you try to go to the actual channel and it doesnt come on then theres a problem. If its happening at night then its possibly either a temp sensitive lnbf ( eye on the dish ) or dish mount is moving due to temp flexing of the mount location and generaly I've found this to be with wood posts and studs that will change position as they cool and heat.

Tonight you can turn on the receiver and tv, take the remote and hit menue 6, 1, 1 and watch the signal for the 129 satellite starting around 10pm and see what happens, I'd first go to one of the channels you loose then do the rest of this and you'll be on the satellite and transponder your loosing. If the signal is dropping out then you will see it go down and down and down over the hour up to the time it disapears then you'll know its one of the two temp issues and you'll need to schedule a trouble call.

I hate 129, the only reason I got the Dish 1000.2 was to get FoxSports South HD, and SportsSouth HD which isn't on 61.5...I used to only get HD off 61.5 but now I don't know how to trick the receiver into going from 61.5 and not 129, plus 61.5 has a way better signal than 129...:eek:

If you try to go to the actual channel and it doesnt come on then theres a problem. If its happening at night then its possibly either a temp sensitive lnbf ( eye on the dish ) or dish mount is moving due to temp flexing of the mount location and generaly I've found this to be with wood posts and studs that will change position as they cool and heat.

Tonight you can turn on the receiver and tv, take the remote and hit menue 6, 1, 1 and watch the signal for the 129 satellite starting around 10pm and see what happens, I'd first go to one of the channels you loose then do the rest of this and you'll be on the satellite and transponder your loosing. If the signal is dropping out then you will see it go down and down and down over the hour up to the time it disapears then you'll know its one of the two temp issues and you'll need to schedule a trouble call.

When the offair thing was going on early mornings this past week, I dont think it was his LNBF, i think it was E* doing some maintenance. I tuned to some of the offair channels, and sometimes got a black screen, and sometimes there was something on even though it said offair. These offair listings happened for at least 5 early mornings, and for example, you would not see Wednesday early mornings offair listings until Tuesday. When i first noticed them last Monday early morning, I looked through the early morning guide for a week, and never saw them scheduled for the next early morning. But the next early morning, there they were again for a different set of a handful of channels. same thing happened 4 or 5 early mornings in a row.

just didnt want someone thinking this necessarily had anything to do with their own equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts