HD channels on SD receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

grb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Southern CA
I know this is probably a dumb question, but the topic search engine didn't help me and I don't trust a Dish CSR to give me the right answer.

If you are subscribed to an HD package, can you get these HD channels on an SD receiver? I am thinking about adding an SD receiver for an extra analogue TV in a spare room. I would like to get the HD channels that don't have an SD version. Is this possible or would I get only the SD channels? I think the answer is no, but I need to verify it.

Thanks!

HD only works on ViP series receivers. So I'm not sure if by "SD receiver" you mean DVR 625 or 322 or whatever, those won't pick up HD.

If you mean can you view HD material, on a ViP receiver, on an SDTV, then yes you can. On TV1 you have several options for how you wish to view HD on the SDTV, among those are the ability to "squish" the widescreen into a 4:3 screen (anamorphic widescreen) and the other option is to cut the sides of the widescreen off, to create a 4:3 picture. The only thing I wish it also had was 4:3 letterbox widescreen.

On TV2 your only option as far as I am aware is to view the HD with the sides of the widescreen cut off.

If you have a 2-room receiver or DVR, then all you would need to do is run the Home Distribution coax feed to your SD TV and the output will be SD. Then you wouldn't need a 2nd unit.

Which receiver/DVR do you have?

You need an MPEG4 capable receiver to view HD programing and none of the SD receivers have this capability.

You should just get a VIP211 or VIP211K for your SD tv. You will pay the same fee for it as you would an SD receiver and it's future proof if you buy another HDTV or when dish moves to all MPEG4.

Thanks everyone for the responses. They confirmed what I thought -- that I need an HD receiver to receive HD channels. I assume I can get the HD channels on an analog TV using an HD receiver, right?

I have a 622 which provides HD to TV1 and HD channels (in SD) to TV2 (analog TV).

So I guess my solution for the third TV (analog) is to get an HD receiver in order to get the HD channels.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for the responses. They confirmed what I thought -- that I need an HD receiver to receive HD channels. I assume I can get the HD channels on an analog TV using an HD receiver, right?

I have a 622 which provides HD to TV1 and HD channels (in SD) to TV2 (analog TV).

So I guess my solution for the third TV (analog) is to get an HD receiver in order to get the HD channels.

Thanks again!

Actually it depends on how you use the 3rd TV. If you don't use the 2nd and 3rd TVs at the same time, then you can just split the Home Distribution output on the 622 and run it to both the 2nd and 3rd TV. Just a thought to save money. Anyway, you've got the idea now. Enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)