HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Good morning, Ken.

Many (most) channels do not have much, if any HD programming. It will be many years before all programming is in HD, and even then HD does not mean 16:9 (widescreen). You can still have 4:3 HD.

As the number of owners of HDTV's climbs so will the HD broadcast content offered. Networks hoping to survive in a competitive world will lose viewers without providing increased HD broadcasting. Whether the Cable or Satellite providers are able to keep pace by having the necessary bandwidth is a different story in itself.

Good morning, Ken.

Many (most) channels do not have much, if any HD programming. It will be many years before all programming is in HD, and even then HD does not mean 16:9 (widescreen). You can still have 4:3 HD.

That statement is completely inaccurate.. There are quite a few channels that have HD and many are currently in the process of building their library's. It will not be years, its a matter of 6 months ish before most major channels are going to be on line with new HD content. While there is 4:3 Hd most channels are utilizing 16 X 9. Its a matter of the providers picking up those channels. As far as the via com channels which is the only ones at this time showing select HD programs, they are expected to fully go HD early next year. Just around the corner.

There are quite a few channels that have HD and many are currently in the process of building their library's.

Having some HD or being broadcast in HD isn't the same as being full-time HD.

While there is 4:3 Hd most channels are utilizing 16 X 9.

Most of what you see is cropped and zoomed 4:3. There are very few networks broadcasting in cropped and zoomed 4:3 HD even all day, much less 24/7.... and true HD is another debate entirely.

Networks hoping to survive in a competitive world will lose viewers without providing increased HD broadcasting.

That's just about it in a nutshell, it's a model so easy that it still amazes me when major programs make the HD plunge. Something as simple ABC Ch7 Chicago local news going HD was huge & it took 6 months for any of the competition to follow. I can remember The Letterman show taking a full year to go HD while Leno was fully HD the whole time. I know they need the back end stuff to make this happen, but that is squarely on management when you see competing shows with this much of a lead in a major market town. I guess it could also be argued that most of us are spoiled & most viewers are still watching the world through their 4/3 sets.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts