HD chans OTA to HD DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapaj

Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Okay, I may get flamed for asking this. I've searched and found a few posts that lead me to believe this is possible, but I want to make sure.

If I get Directv and get an HD DVR, can I plug in an antenna and get my locals in HD OTA through the dish receiver. Directv is not carrying my locals in HD. Will the channel show up on the receiver with the program guide and can I schedule and record shows to the DVR?

Thanks so much.

Okay, I may get flamed for asking this. I've searched and found a few posts that lead me to believe this is possible, but I want to make sure.

If I get Directv and get an HD DVR, can I plug in an antenna and get my locals in HD OTA through the dish receiver. Directv is not carrying my locals in HD. Will the channel show up on the receiver with the program guide and can I schedule and record shows to the DVR?

Thanks so much.
You can do what you want with the add on AM21 ATSC module which adds two ATSC tuners to the HR21/HR22 receiver. Once you connect the AM21 to the HD DVR it asks you to go through the OTA setup and then the ATSC channels in your DMA will show up in the guide and you can schedule recordings just like they wee a satellite delivered channel. Since you don't have HD locals and you're a new customer I'd try to get DirecTV to pick up the $50 charge for the AM21 to get you go join up.

You can do what you want with the add on AM21 ATSC module which adds two ATSC tuners to the HR21/HR22 receiver. Once you connect the AM21 to the HD DVR it asks you to go through the OTA setup and then the ATSC channels in your DMA will show up in the guide and you can schedule recordings just like they wee a satellite delivered channel. Since you don't have HD locals and you're a new customer I'd try to get DirecTV to pick up the $50 charge for the AM21 to get you go join up.

Thanks so much. If I call them up, will they know what i'm talking about if I ask about the AM21?

Thanks so much. If I call them up, will they know what i'm talking about if I ask about the AM21?

All depends, some CSR's are good, some are rocks. BTW, did you check with Plasma Concepts (see link at the top of the page), they are a site sponsor and DirecTV dealer, they might be able to get you a better deal, and then again maybe not.

All depends, some CSR's are good, some are rocks.

When I talked to a CSR about the AM21 he was dumb as a brick. He told he had done a lot of research about the AM21. However, his "research" told him that the AM21 wouldn't work after the digital switch over next year. Idiot. On top of that the wouldn't sell it to me since HD locals are available in my DMA. But since I only get the big 4 and I wanted rain fade backup I still insisted on an AM21. So I got mine on Amazon.com who in turned got it from ABTElectronics.com

When I talked to a CSR about the AM21 he was dumb as a brick. He told he had done a lot of research about the AM21. However, his "research" told him that the AM21 wouldn't work after the digital switch over next year. Idiot. On top of that the wouldn't sell it to me since HD locals are available in my DMA. But since I only get the big 4 and I wanted rain fade backup I still insisted on an AM21. So I got mine on Amazon.com who in turned got it from ABTElectronics.com

How much you pay for it? The D* web site will sell it for $50 + $5 for 2nd day FedEx shipping.

Let's say I get the AM21 and get it going. Then I decide to "move" to San Antonio. Can I get the San Antonio locals HD and still get my locals in HD through the AM21 with the program guide?

Let's say I get the AM21 and get it going. Then I decide to "move" to San Antonio. Can I get the San Antonio locals HD and still get my locals in HD through the AM21 with the program guide?

The AM21's program guide is based on the zip code you enter for your primary/secondard local markets, not on your service address.

The AM21's program guide is based on the zip code you enter for your primary/secondard local markets, not on your service address.

So does this mean I can get San Antonio HD locals over the dish with program guide AND get locals OTA with program guide?

Thanks so much.

Also, to someone who understands spotbeams really well, can I "move" from Corpus Christi, TX to San Antonio, TX with no problems?

Also, to someone who understands spotbeams really well, can I "move" from Corpus Christi, TX to San Antonio, TX with no problems?

Maybe, that's 144 miles per google maps. Example is that Pensacola/Mobile locals reach 100+ mile to the East and Panama City, Fl. and signals can be received okay.

You could just "try" and if not, call back to move back home!

When you call up to do a change of service address, how long does it take to start working? What kind of questions will they ask me? I just got it installed on Tuesday and i'm ready to "move." :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)