Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
B00000408I.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Summary:

You will never find a more chillingly suspenseful, perversely funny, or viciously satirical political thriller than The Manchurian Candidate, based on the novel by Richard Condon (author of Winter Kills). The film, withheld from distribution by star Frank Sinatra for almost a quarter century after President Kennedy's assassination, has lost none of its potency over time. Former infantryman Bennet Marco (Sinatra) is haunted by nightmares about his platoon having been captured and brainwashed in Korea. The indecipherable dreams seem to center on Sergeant Raymond Shaw (Laurence Harvey), a decorated war hero but a cold fish of a man whose own mother (Angela Lansbury, in one of the all-time great dragon-lady roles) describes him as looking like his head is "always about to come to a point." Mrs. Bates has nothing on Lansbury's character, the manipulative queen behind her second husband, Senator John Iselin (James Gregory), a notoriously McCarthyesque demagogue. --Jim Emerson

Fantastic movie!

Between this and "Seven Day's in May" I wonder if "Seconds" will be appearing on Voom at some point.

I think Angela Lansbury is great in this film. So different from Jessica Fletcher. I think she was only like 5 years older than Larry Harvey (her son) in this movie.

A true classic. If you haven't seen this movie, make sure you do so before the upcoming Hollywood remake starring Denzel Washington. Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised and the remake will be ok, but I doubt it.

cyuhnke said:
I think Angela Lansbury is great in this film. So different from Jessica Fletcher. I think she was only like 5 years older than Larry Harvey (her son) in this movie.

Really close, it was actually less than that, with only a 3 year age difference (I checked the insert on my DVD) and she managed to make it completely believable.

deeann said:
Really close, it was actually less than that, with only a 3 year age difference (I checked the insert on my DVD) and she managed to make it completely believable.
Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure the exact number, but I knew they were pretty close in age. She did pull it off excellently. Plus, that kiss is creepy.

To Me Getting HDNET or InHD is a moot point if...

HBO HD East - TERMINATOR 3 Rise of the Machines, 6/12 at 8pm EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)