HD DuoDVR Receiver - Two Prices, One Receiver

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
I decided to look at my Dish account and see what current offers are available for an upgrade to a two tuner DVR. The site says I can get a HD DuoDVR Receiver for $50 (shipped). Then as a second option it says I can get an Enhanced HD DuoDVR Receiver for $75 shipped.

All well and good, but when I click on either of these offers, I'm taken to the same page where the only DuoDVR Receiver listed is a ViP722. I haven't called Dish yet as I'd like to know more than the CSR I speak with, so what's up with their offer? Are there actually 2 different HD DuoDVR Receivers currently available from Dish? If so, what are their designations and how do they differ.

Sorry if this seems like old news to some, but I've not had any interest in a DVR for the 10 years I've been with Dish, until now.

I decided to look at my Dish account and see what current offers are available for an upgrade to a two tuner DVR. The site says I can get a HD DuoDVR Receiver for $50 (shipped). Then as a second option it says I can get an Enhanced HD DuoDVR Receiver for $75 shipped.

All well and good, but when I click on either of these offers, I'm taken to the same page where the only DuoDVR Receiver listed is a ViP722. I haven't called Dish yet as I'd like to know more than the CSR I speak with, so what's up with their offer? Are there actually 2 different HD DuoDVR Receivers currently available from Dish? If so, what are their designations and how do they differ.

Sorry if this seems like old news to some, but I've not had any interest in a DVR for the 10 years I've been with Dish, until now.
There are actually three...the 622, 722, and 722K. The prices you refer to are for the 622 and 722 respectively. The 722 has a larger hard drive than the 622 and is black as opposed to silver. The 722K is the latest, with an optional OTA module for two OTA tuners.

Also, depending on how long you've been a Dish customer, they may waive the fees. I just upgraded from a 508 to a 612 and that would have been $75 installed but in the chat they said it would be a free upgrade. Yes, my bill will go up each month, but the install is free (with 24 month commitment).

There are actually three...the 622, 722, and 722K. The prices you refer to are for the 622 and 722 respectively. The 722 has a larger hard drive than the 622 and is black as opposed to silver. The 722K is the latest, with an optional OTA module for two OTA tuners.

I don't find any listing for a 622 as an HD DVR on the Dish site. I also found that some of the new receivers don't come with an OTA DTV tuner and Dish wants another $30 for the tuner. Hmmm, I just may wait another few years before I change receivers (currently have a ViP211 and ViP222).

I don't understand why they can't list the Model Names on the Dish'n it up site and make it less confusing? They update the web site every other month anyways, why can't they maintain one more page with pertinent information?

I don't find any listing for a 622 as an HD DVR on the Dish site. I also found that some of the new receivers don't come with an OTA DTV tuner and Dish wants another $30 for the tuner. Hmmm, I just may wait another few years before I change receivers (currently have a ViP211 and ViP222).

The 722k comes w/o the OTA tuner module that's what the $30 is for. (22 will be the same way. This is so if you don't need the OTA you don't have to pay for it. If you want OTA then get the module and it allows you to record 4 things at one time. Also if you add an ext HDD you have to pay a fee for that but is is also worth it.

Dish changes what they call their boxes as often as they cycle through the heads of their marketing group. Just a few months ago, they dumped the number designations briefly and went with an array of confusing and ridiculously long names for their receivers. Doesn't look like these stuck with the exception of a few places online.

The 722k comes w/o the OTA tuner module that's what the $30 is for. (22 will be the same way. This is so if you don't need the OTA you don't have to pay for it. If you want OTA then get the module and it allows you to record 4 things at one time. Also if you add an ext HDD you have to pay a fee for that but is is also worth it.

Doing a little searching on the Dish site I see that the ViP722 (not the 722k) comes with an integral OTA tuner and it is in black. Is this unit no longer available?

It also appears that the 622 has been phased out in favor a black 625 model that now requires the OTA module (Didn't Dish see the negative reaction from DirecTV subs when they first tried to issue HD receivers w/o an OTA tuner? I think this is as much about locking subs into Dish as their only source of TV as it is about lowering receiver cost, which to be is a really crappy way to do business. Shades of Comcast.).

The bottom line is that I don't want to pay extra for the OTA tuner that used to be part and parcel to these receivers (it has been in the 3 Dish HD receivers I've had) and I would prefer the unit be black in color. But with the vague designations in the Dish-It-Up offer, there is no telling what one will get and relying on the CSR that takes the order to give you accurate information regarding the unit to be sent is like playing Russian roulette.

Te 625 is not HD. The difference between the 722 & the 722K is that the K has 2 OTA tuners while the 722 has one.

WHATEVER

Doing a little searching on the Dish site I see that the ViP722 (not the 722k) comes with an integral OTA tuner and it is in black. Is this unit no longer available?

It also appears that the 622 has been phased out in favor a black 625 model that now requires the OTA module (Didn't Dish see the negative reaction from DirecTV subs when they first tried to issue HD receivers w/o an OTA tuner? I think this is as much about locking subs into Dish as their only source of TV as it is about lowering receiver cost, which to be is a really crappy way to do business. Shades of Comcast.).

The bottom line is that I don't want to pay extra for the OTA tuner that used to be part and parcel to these receivers (it has been in the 3 Dish HD receivers I've had) and I would prefer the unit be black in color. But with the vague designations in the Dish-It-Up offer, there is no telling what one will get and relying on the CSR that takes the order to give you accurate information regarding the unit to be sent is like playing Russian roulette.
If you don't like the rules of the game then don't play. I like my 722k w/OTA module very well. I had the 622 and liked it. I upgraded to the k and think it is very good and have a 2 yr contract. In this area D* only carries 2 of the LIL stations so do what you want. When I look at the DVR page I see the 625 (SD), 612 (HD) single & 722 which is the K model.

Te 625 is not HD. The difference between the 722 & the 722K is that the K has 2 OTA tuners while the 722 has one.

And the 722 has an integral OTA DTV tuner, while the 722k requires the purchase of the $30 OTA DTV tuner module, otherwise it doesn't receive OTA DTV.

The 625 is the only other DVR on the Dish site that comes up as DuoDVR. They no longer list the 622 unless you do a search for old records. Thus, my confusion as to just what I'd get for $50 versus what I'd get for $75. I may just have to play CSR roulette and see what happens. Dish used to have a pretty good web site, but they must have laid-off there web builders as a cost cutting move.

And the 722 has an integral OTA DTV tuner, while the 722k requires the purchase of the $30 OTA DTV tuner module, otherwise it doesn't receive OTA DTV.

The 625 is the only other DVR on the Dish site that comes up as DuoDVR. They no longer list the 622 unless you do a search for old records. Thus, my confusion as to just what I'd get for $50 versus what I'd get for $75. I may just have to play CSR roulette and see what happens. Dish used to have a pretty good web site, but they must have laid-off there web builders as a cost cutting move.

How many times do you have to be told that 625 is not an HD DVR and not part of the DIU offer??? The 622 definitely still exits and is the receiver de jour for a current special customer HD upgrade. As Foghorn Leghorn would say, "Listen to us when we're talkin' to you boy.";)

How many times do you have to be told that 625 is not an HD DVR and not part of the DIU offer?
Not all Dish'n It Up upgrades are HD upgrades, or even a replacement for another receiver. (I only used it once and got 2 VIP612's and returned nothing.)

622 is still available for dishn it up promotions.
622 is less then the 722 because it has less recording capacity.
622 and 722 have built in OTA
722k does not, But has an OTA option available.
625's are SD DVRS

Not all Dish'n It Up upgrades are HD upgrades, or even a replacement for another receiver. (I only used it once and got 2 VIP612's and returned nothing.)
Problem is, he thinks the 625 is. Go back a few threads.

A friend of mine just asked me..

He wants to upgrade two 5 year old 2 tuner SD DVR receivers. Do you think he could get 2 ViP722's?

They (Dish) seem to want to give him at least 1 for free.

Thus, my confusion as to just what I'd get for $50 versus what I'd get for $75. I may just have to play CSR roulette and see what happens. .
$50-100 your Getting a 622 Depends on account status
$75-125 your getting a 722. Depends on account status
You can't place these orders online anyhow, so call Dish and ask them what's available to you.

622 is still available for dishn it up promotions.
622 is less then the 722 because it has less recording capacity.
622 and 722 have built in OTA
722k does not, But has an OTA option available.
625's are SD DVRS

Could not have put it better myself. Oh, but I already did and it did not do any good.;) Better luck to you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts