HD DVD and Blu-ray at CES (by Ultimate AV Magazine)

Sean...thanks for the link also. You saved me some time. Was very interesting.

Well after reading that I guess everyone will just have to buy both a HD and a blue ray dvd player :) lol. Well I am sure I am not the only one looking over that list most of those movies already are on DVD and I have all the ones I want. I would not re buy a HD dvd or Blue ray dvd just for improved quality. I will wait and buy new movies on the new format.

I am just hoping HD DVD will win for being cheaper and looks to be a better choice. Because really thats what it comes down to right? The price????

Yes, that "cheaper" mantra keeps getting repeated. Over time, there won't be much difference in price to the consumer. By the time the added costs get spread over tens of millions of units, it won't matter. And the added capacity may more than make up for the difference in future years.

navychop said:
Yes, that "cheaper" mantra keeps getting repeated. Over time, there won't be much difference in price to the consumer. By the time the added costs get spread over tens of millions of units, it won't matter. And the added capacity may more than make up for the difference in future years.

I think its somewhat true but Sony always tries to generate a premium price on their products. I used to think the quality justified it but not anymore. Stuff changes so fast that I would rather have middle of the road stuff recycled through than top of the line Sony that will be bypassed by something newer and greater in no time. I have an HD TV that is four + years old but its only got component inputs and I already feel its time is coming. Thank goodness I didnt buy a Plasma with component only a few years back.

navychop said:

Well this is the other mantra that gets repeated by the Blow-Ray camp but unlike the other one, this one is a belief about future thing - th4 cheaper HD-DVD is a fact today:devil:

Added capacity only needed so badly because Blow-Ray still uses old MPEG2, unlike HD-DVD's VC-1 or H.264...

Both formats use similar compression and copy protection schemes. BR capacity is greater, period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts