HD DVD noob question

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
As many others on this forum, I purchased my first HD DVD player yesterday at Wal-mart. I have not had a chance to take it out of the box yet.

But I have seen on this forum about firmware updates. Does that mean I will need to connect an ethernet connection to my unit for an update before I can use it?

Yes and No. you can download the update off the internet or you can hook it up via ethernet. Some newer titles require the update however the unit will work without the update for the most part. The updates add some new features but it does work without.

You can also have Toshiba mail the updates to you, if you prefer.

As many others on this forum, I purchased my first HD DVD player yesterday at Wal-mart. I have not had a chance to take it out of the box yet.

But I have seen on this forum about firmware updates. Does that mean I will need to connect an ethernet connection to my unit for an update before I can use it?

The first update via Ethernet doesn't work on certain firmware revisions of the A2. Moreover, Toshiba's servers have been slammed since Friday.

If you don't know how to do it or have difficulty send me a PM, I'll mail you a CD tomorrow.