HD-DVD Titles to be released end of 2005!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
Ok this was published 4 days ago, but I figured we should have a copy here at satguys.

Warner/New Line/HBO/etc. just announced 52 HD-DVD titles for release Q4 '05:

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/Jan/1106003.htm

ABOVE THE LAW
ALEXANDER
ANGELS IN AMERICA (HBO)
AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY (NEW LINE)
BATMAN BEGINS
BLADE (NEW LINE)
CATWOMAN
CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
CONSTANTINE
CONTACT
DARK CITY (NEW LINE)
THE DUKES OF HAZZARD
ERASER
EXECUTIVE DECISION
FINAL DESTINATION (NEW LINE)
FRIDAY (NEW LINE)
FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON (HBO)
THE FUGITIVE
GOTHIKA
HARD TO KILL
HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
HOUSE OF WAX (2005)
THE LAST SAMURAI
THE MASK (NEW LINE)
THE MATRIX
THE MATRIX RELOADED
THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
MAVERICK
MILLION DOLLAR BABY
THE MUSIC MAN
MYSTIC RIVER
NEXT OF KIN
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
OCEAN'S ELEVEN
OCEAN'S TWELVE
PASSENGER 57
THE PERFECT STORM
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (2004)
THE PLAYER (NEW LINE)
THE POLAR EXPRESS
RED PLANET
RUSH HOUR (NEW LINE)
SE7EN (NEW LINE)
SOLDIER
THE SOPRANOS (HBO)
SPAWN (NEW LINE)
SWORDFISH
TROY
UNDER SIEGE
U.S. MARSHALS
WILD WILD WEST

Paramount just announced 21 HD-DVD titles for Q4 '05:

http://www.mysan.de/international/article21498.html

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS
ELIZABETHTOWN
COACH CARTER
ITALIAN JOB
SCHOOL OF ROCK
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
FORREST GUMP
BRAVEHEART
GHOST
GREASE
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2
BLACK RAIN
SAVE THE LAST DANCE
SLEEPY HOLLOW
U2 RATTLE & HUM
VANILLA SKY
LARA CROFT: TOMB RAIDER
STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT
WE WERE SOLDIERS

Universal just announced 16 HD-DVD titles, likely for Q1 '06:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...02774126&EDATE=

THE BOURNE SUPREMACY
THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
VAN HELSING
APOLLO 13
U-571
12 MONKEYS
DUNE
THE THING
END OF DAYS
BACKDRAFT
WATERWORLD
THE BONE COLLECTOR
SPY GAME
PITCH BLACK
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
DANTE'S PEAK

-----
info found at: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=4938695#post4938695

Yup. A bunch of favorites, that of course I have on DVD.

I Like out of the list. Austin Powers, Harry Potter, The Matrix and of course... Spongebob!!! Awesome. That should deffinetly be the breakout HD-DVD title :)

I really hope that these titles are released OAR. No sense in buying crop HD DVDs. The Last Samurai will be on top of my list, follow by the Matrix triology. Hopefully DTS sound as well.

P.S. U-571.... great!!!

They don't crop DVDs, don't see why they'd crop HD-DVD. It looks like from the list that they just be taking a bunch of titles that we've already seen on a broadcast HD medium and putting them on HD-DVDs with chapters and etc... I hope for DTS as well

Sean Mota said:
I really hope that these titles are released OAR. No sense in buying crop HD DVDs. The Last Samurai will be on top of mylist.
2 weeks ago I was channel surfing at about 1 am, I checked my recordings on my 921 and had The Last Samurai. I thought I would just watch a few minutes and go to bed:) nope it was after 3am... I watched the whole thing, good movie.

If history of these companies follows the current pattern they will release the basic HD version with DD and no special features. Then 6 - 9 mos later they will release a "special edition" or "director's edition" that will have all the stuff the first release should of had; such as DD & DTS selectable, commentary or alternate audio, the making of, bloopers, etc.

As far as the "crop" I think he my have meant full-screen (aka pan and scan) version and that SHOULD never be an issue with HD.

They are releasing these title lists to appear to be in a much better position than Blu-Ray, so be ready for this to become an all-out war of words between the two.

Buena Vista, Electronic Arts and Vivendi Universal both joined the Blu-Ray backing; and with that Microsoft has now pulled back some from HD-DVD and is postponing comment on backing for now.

The only major studio yet to declare an allegiance is 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, which has a foot in both through its memberships in both the Blu-ray Disc Assn. and the DVD Forum, but it has not committed to releasing product in either format.

Yep, we're looking at another "Beta vs. VHS" format war shaping up. It's pathetic and not necessary. It'll end up confusing/frustrating most consumers who won't understand the difference between the two formats and will delay the wide adoption of an HD standard for DVD. Much the same way SACD and DVD-Audio has delayed the adoption of a HD standard for music.

I personally think HD-DVD will fail and Bluray will triumph in the standard war. Bluray has WAY more capacity, 50Gig compared to HD-DVD 25gig, plus Sony is already testing a 200Gig disk. Since these will also be used on computers, capacity is everything, and Bluray has HD-DVD beat hands down. And from what I have read, the studios coming out for one or the other are not exclusive agreements, they can still make the movies for the other formats and you know they will.

charper1 said:
If history of these companies follows the current pattern they will release the basic HD version with DD and no special features. Then 6 - 9 mos later they will release a "special edition" or "director's edition" that will have all the stuff the first release should of had; such as DD & DTS selectable, commentary or alternate audio, the making of, bloopers, etc.

As far as the "crop" I think he my have meant full-screen (aka pan and scan) version and that SHOULD never be an issue with HD.

They are releasing these title lists to appear to be in a much better position than Blu-Ray, so be ready for this to become an all-out war of words between the two.

Buena Vista, Electronic Arts and Vivendi Universal both joined the Blu-Ray backing; and with that Microsoft has now pulled back some from HD-DVD and is postponing comment on backing for now.

The only major studio yet to declare an allegiance is 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, which has a foot in both through its memberships in both the Blu-ray Disc Assn. and the DVD Forum, but it has not committed to releasing product in either format.

Ahh i know this is true but i hope this does not happen! On a Brighter note i heard DTS sound will be the standard think i heard it at audioholics?

Betamax and VHS wouldn't fit in the same slot.

But I wouldn't be surprised if dual HD-DVD / Blu-ray drives aren't available. Then no one will care that their are two "standards". Does anyone care anymore that there are 18 ATSC formats? No, because every receiver on the market can handle all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.