HD DVR HR22-100 Bootup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cdk$

Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
WMA
I currently have an HR22 HD DVR. I normally shut it off when I am away for an extended period of time to save on electricity. However, this becomes an issue when trying to watch DirectTV when I return since it takes 11 minutes just to go through the steps of the bootup process.

What exactly is it doing during this 11 minutes? I really laugh at the messages it leaves like Only a few more seconds... Then step 1 of 2 Checking Satellite Settings... This will take a few minutes. Which is it a few more seconds or a few minutes. Then Step 2 of 2 Receiving Satellite Info...

Why can't DirecTV fix this or provide an option to allow us to bypass these steps if we wish? Like, why can't it store the guide information on the DVR hard disk so if it reboots, it could retrieve the information directly from the unit instead of having to download all the information again from the satellite? I wish they could make a unit that would boot up in 1-2 minutes versus 11 minutes. Am I the only one that believes this is excessive?

If you can't afford the miniscule amount of electricity to run one DVR box, how DO you afford satellite service itself??? :confused:

Bottom line - JUST like a computer that starts from a cold start, a DVR is NO different - it was NOT made to be shut off like this. If you insist on doing this, then you have to suffer the consequences.

This is probably one of the most silly, much-to-do-about-nothing things I keep reading about on these boards - kind of like of complaining about why some remotes take 2 batteries while some take 4.... :rolleyes:

I don't know about your computer but the one I have takes less than 1 minute to boot up. I don't have to keep it on at all times. I like to save money wherever I can and my electricity bill is one area I have been able to cut. I am not one of the wealthy. Unfortunately, we do like one so called luxury called television which when I started with DirecTV, it was $30.00 per month for my complete bill and now 12 years later, it's $75.00 per month. Most of us don't have much these days with the recession and all.

The main point here is that the bootup time is far too long whether or not you want to save electricity is not the point. If I look at verizon FIOS DVR (whole house by the way), it takes 30 seconds to boot up but of course thier on a fiber optic line.

I am merely stating that directv should change their software within these DVRs so they bootup in a reasonable amount of time. I do not believe that is too much to ask.

Just an FYI, the DirecTV HD DVR's have received the Energy Star certification.

I'd rather see DirecTV work on a list of other things they need to do with the box before worrying about the boot up time since I don't turn mine off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)