HD DVR question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Michael_C

Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
My current setup is a H21 receiver with one line coming in and
one tv. If I upgrade to a HD DVR will I need to have a second cable
coming in to the receiver to be able to record two programs at a time?

it depends on the current setup

If you have a SWM setup (the LNB has one output and you'll have a power inserter plugged in the house) then no you wouldnt need a 2nd line
If you have an older setup then yes

Do you currently have HD? If so is there a BBC converter on the back of the H21? If so you have an older setup and yes you would need tow lines

Yes, I have HD and I do have a BBC so I guess I need two lines.
How do they do that? Just run a second line through the wall next
to the other line??

You would probably be better off getting an upgrade to a SWM setup. It's the future of DTV and how they want things set up so you'd be better off paying the service call and having your dish switched over to this setup. You would most likely have to pay for the second line to be run too, and they most likely would just run it on the outside of the house.

If DIrectv upgrades you they probably would send someone out to do the install which would be pretty easy to swap to SWM
Switch LNB
Hook up power insterer

rerun satellite setup to acknowledge the SWM setup

Iceberg said:
If DIrectv upgrades you they probably would send someone out to do the install which would be pretty easy to swap to SWM
Switch LNB
Hook up power insterer

rerun satellite setup to acknowledge the SWM setup

Nailed it! 1 line there already and they're wanting a DVR? Yeah, almost every tech these days that I know swap the LNB and throw a power inserter in

When I upgraded thats what the installer did. Even though there was 4 lines coming from the roof (had a Phase 3 up there even though SD locals were on 101)

I guess the fact it was -4 out that morning might have had something to do with it ;)

Curious Hutch, do they make more money off putting in the SWM LNB and PI and switch, than running a new line ?

While in most cases, the SWM would make life easier for the installer, is it a "how much money do I make " issue as well ?

Jimbo said:
Curious Hutch, do they make more money off putting in the SWM LNB and PI and switch, than running a new line ?

While in most cases, the SWM would make life easier for the installer, is it a "how much money do I make " issue as well ?

We he paid by what the work order calls for. We do what's possible to have a job grounded, phone lines or Internet hooked up and be gone! Of that's "losing" a SWM set off a van to get to our next job we do. We have ways of making that SWM set reappear. Service calls and such. If it calls for a second line then yes, it pays more. A SWM install pays less then the old school 4 lines off the dish. But we can put a SWM system in a lot faster then doing the 4 lines

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)