HD DVR Reliability

majortom6x

Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Upgrading to HD. Now own 625 dual DVR and it has been problem free for over 5 yrs. Have read many posts about 622 & 722 problems. Sounds like Dish is just recirculating to customers a whole lot of these models that have intermittent problems. Are these problems over exagerated or typical of these models?
At this time has Dish improved /fixed these models?
Is there a certain rev # that I should ask for in either model.
From a reliability stand point is the 622 or 722 better or equal to each other?
Has anyone had years of flawless operation from either model?

All input appreciated.

Nearly everyone around here has had at least one replacement 622/722 through the years. It's pretty normal for these machines. Most problems come from insufficient air circulation and overheating. Also, the internal HD's may corrupt or die. When problems occur, we activate DHPP, then call tech assist. Once the new receiver arrives, just drop it. SOP.

I've had a 622 since '07. The first one was replaced after about 9 months because of the bad HDMI jack, the replacement has been rock solid. There are some people who have had "many" replaced for the same problems, which leads me to believe they've had problems other than the receiver. Like I said, my 622 is rock solid & I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd go so far as to say it's spoiled me against any other HD DVR...

I've lost track of exactly how long I've had my 622, but I think it has been since spring of 2006. I've had problems with my LNB on the dish, but have not had any trouble with the DVR. I think I have one of the early units with the bad HDMI port, but I never bothered to get it replaced because I've been using the Component connection instead.

I've had both a 722 & 622 for about 2 1/2 years (?) and never had a problem with either, other then Dish sending a software update a couple of times that had bugs in it. Gotta remember, folks don't post to say that their receiver is working great, lol. On the other hand, I think it is entirely true that often they are sending out "refurbs" that still have problems.
Probably shouldn't have posted this--now they'll both take a dump...............:rolleyes:lol

Ed

Same as many people here. My first 622 (the first released model) had to be replaced due to the faulty HDMI problem. The replacement 622 and my other 622 have both been rock solid.

I would suspect that MOST people experience with the VIP DVR series has been a very positive one.

For the most part all we ever get to read about are the bad experiences because misery loves company and that is why the internet was created.

Pretty good machines

I had the dreaded C version in which nearly all of those went bad. When E* found out I had that version by reading the forums that contacted me and replaced that one. The 2nd was rock solid until I replaced it with the 722k I have now. The 622 that I replaced the HDMI port broke loose inside but that was a badly designed HDMI connector that E* had bought and they broke loose from the mobo but that wasn't a design flaw just manufactured bad part. So I think that these units are pretty rock solid. I've had troubles like this w/ PC's where I have worked. So really it's just a type of PC and parts go bad especially HDD's.

I've had the 722 for about 1 1/2 years and other than having to reboot it a couple of times this past summer when the A/C was acting up and the DVR got too hot, I've not had issues.

I've seen more posts about all sorts of little problems with the 622 than the subsequent models of 722, 612, 722K. I can tell you that I have three 722's and one 722K, my relatives two 722's and with the exception of one of my relatives having to replace just one of their 722 for constant re-boot over a year ago, all the above mentioned machines have behaved very well and have been very reliable.

The 522 was the original dual tuner DVR, it had problems when it was new. The 625 replaced it and now both use the same software with few post about problems. The 622 was the original Dual Tuner HDTV and had teething problems. The 722 replaced it and now has a very good reputation. Typically when DISH introduces a new receiver it take a year to a year and a half to get it semi right.
922 is a perfect example the BETA test has taken about 10 months and hopefully will produce a usable DVR at introduction.

The 522 was the original dual tuner DVR, it had problems when it was new. The 625 replaced it and now both use the same software with few post about problems. The 622 was the original Dual Tuner HDTV and had teething problems. The 722 replaced it and now has a very good reputation. Typically when DISH introduces a new receiver it take a year to a year and a half to get it semi right.
922 is a perfect example the BETA test has taken about 10 months and hopefully will produce a usable DVR at introduction.

Some one forget the 942? The 942 was the 1st Dual Tuner HD-DVR. @ sat & 1 OTA. The 921(dog) had dual tuners 1 sat & 1 OTA I believe. Had a 942 didn't ever have the older 921 but pretty sure that's how they were. 622 was 1st MPEG 4 dual tuner HD-DVR.

The 921 and 942 are boat anchors NOW they can no longer be activated on DISH Network systems. I am surprised at the fools still paying $200-300 on eBay to buy useless receivers, totallty unsupported by DISH.

Some one forget the 942? The 942 was the 1st Dual Tuner HD-DVR. @ sat & 1 OTA. The 921(dog) had dual tuners 1 sat & 1 OTA I believe. Had a 942 didn't ever have the older 921 but pretty sure that's how they were. 622 was 1st MPEG 4 dual tuner HD-DVR.

The 921 had 2 (two) sat tuners and one OTA tuner, and was classified as a dual tuner HD DVR. It was the industry's (among all sat and all MSO's) very first HD DVR. The 921 was the HD version of the 721 (the industry's very first 2 tuner DVR), no TV 2 experience. The 921 was a monster boat, no a little anchor. My, how technology has come a long way since then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)