HD-DVR tuner with an HD TV2 out?

Bobby_M

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
I have the 622 and like the TV2 output functionality due to the DVR sharing. I used to simulate this on cable by using an IR repeater and loved ditching that system.

Like most people, I'm thinking of upgrading my bedroom TV to a 1080p LCD and would like to get it an HD feed but I don't want a totally separate DVR recording bank. I don' t think Dishnetwork has the hardware to allow this but I'm wondering if any providers have this technology on the horizon?

When will we have a server-like receiver with a bunch of HD capable clients around the house?

Bobby

The other option would be to get another 622 and transfer stuff on a hard drive between the two, or set both of them on the same tv, and run the components cables to the other TV... That way you can watch one on one tv, and one on the other, but still be able to access both DVR's from both rooms if needed.

The other option would be to get another 622 and transfer stuff on a hard drive between the two, or set both of them on the same tv, and run the components cables to the other TV... That way you can watch one on one tv, and one on the other, but still be able to access both DVR's from both rooms if needed.

It would be nice if this would work with that upcoming TR-50 OTA DVR that dish is coming out with. I don't want to have multiple receivers on my account because of the extra charges...

Last edited:
*soon* Dish Network's VIP series of HDDVR's will be DLNA compliant meaning that you could view your recordings via your local house LAN by connecting with a DLNA capable set top box. That could be something like a PS3/Blu-Ray player, or a PC. So you could maintain one DVR but view the recordings over ethernet to DLNA capable devices within your LAN.

DLNA soon?

I am not sure about it.

I heard from some one internal that All vip models have the hardware capable of doing dual HD. They do not want to put 2nd HDMI out which would be limited in length to 20 feet using HDMI cable. Then HDMI extenders must be used which are expensive. Imagine explaining this is to a non-tech guy.

But the real problem is with the networks. meaning the devices has to be HDCP compliant, which is not possible using any cleint at the receiver.

best option is to run the 622 in single mode, use componant for tv1, then run an hdmi cable back to tv2 while also keeping the coax feed to tv2. you will have to keep the reciever in single mode to view hd in your bedroom, but if need be you can toggle the rec backto dual mode put ur bedroom tv on 60/73 and be back to two sep tv's. you can get a 100foot hdmi for 120 on ebay after shipping right now.

100' Feet HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Super Premium Cable
s.gif
</IMG>
100' Feet HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Super Premium Cable
s.gif
</IMG>

I have an HDMI splitter/amplifier attached to my HDMI output. From there, I have a 6' HDMI cable to TV 1, and a 35' to TV 2. I also run coax to TV 2.

The only thing I'm missing is the ability to easily change channels on the HD feed when I'm at TV2, but that could be remedied with an IR repeater, or an RF station and another RF remote. As it is, I can maneuver the box "just so" so that I can shoot the remote's angle through the door and it will catch it. I'd rather put the thing away in a cabinet though, than have it hanging out on the couch.

Got the splitter and amp from monoprice.

I have an HDMI splitter/amplifier attached to my HDMI output. From there, I have a 6' HDMI cable to TV 1, and a 35' to TV 2. I also run coax to TV 2.

The only thing I'm missing is the ability to easily change channels on the HD feed when I'm at TV2, but that could be remedied with an IR repeater, or an RF station and another RF remote. As it is, I can maneuver the box "just so" so that I can shoot the remote's angle through the door and it will catch it. I'd rather put the thing away in a cabinet though, than have it hanging out on the couch.

Got the splitter and amp from monoprice.

Correct me if i'm wrong...but...

When the receiver is in single mode, doesn't both the remotes have the ability to control the TV? When my box is in single mode, and someone at the other TV uses the RF remote, it becomes like a fight for what station we were watching until its switched over to Dual-Mode.

And if you are having issues with the RF signal changing the stations, just combine the RF remote / TV2 signal behind the box and then split it out at the 2nd TV. This can be done with a couple of splitters and a few small pieces of coax.

Correct me if i'm wrong...but...

When the receiver is in single mode, doesn't both the remotes have the ability to control the TV? When my box is in single mode, and someone at the other TV uses the RF remote, it becomes like a fight for what station we were watching until its switched over to Dual-Mode.

And if you are having issues with the RF signal changing the stations, just combine the RF remote / TV2 signal behind the box and then split it out at the 2nd TV. This can be done with a couple of splitters and a few small pieces of coax.

Can you just change the address of TV1 or TV2 remote controls?

DLNA soon?

I am not sure about it.

I heard from some one internal that All vip models have the hardware capable of doing dual HD. They do not want to put 2nd HDMI out which would be limited in length to 20 feet using HDMI cable. Then HDMI extenders must be used which are expensive. Imagine explaining this is to a non-tech guy.

But the real problem is with the networks. meaning the devices has to be HDCP compliant, which is not possible using any cleint at the receiver.

Oh, I agree we won't see it soon. I'm just saying that at CES this year E* was displaying it actually working and had a placard that said, "coming soon". We all know what that means. Hurry up and wait.

There are a lot of DLNA capable devices already out in the market place. I'm sure a large number of homes already have devices and don't even realize it.

I agree to what you said. But the real problem with DLNA is the speed of data on home network. To transmit HD without compression, the speed must be in excess of 500MB.

Untill now no network was able to reach that speed. Homeplug or wireless.

It will take some more time, at least 2 years.

Hmm, good thoughts here but I don't think any of them will work for me. I suppose I could pull an additional RG-6 for a total of three to do component to the bedroom. It's a far run, something like 100ft. It just so happens to be the furthest room from my TV1 location.

I think the most practical way for doing this in the future is to reconstruct the digital signal on the TV2 coax output and provide a converter with HDMI and other outputs for the remote end. Obviously an RG-6 can handle the bandwidth of a single HD channel. I'm guessing the reason they don't do this is to encourage paying for the second receiver and concerns about digital rights.

I agree to what you said. But the real problem with DLNA is the speed of data on home network. To transmit HD without compression, the speed must be in excess of 500MB.

Untill now no network was able to reach that speed. Homeplug or wireless.

It will take some more time, at least 2 years.

RAW HD is like 1.5Gbit/sec. However, when it is broadcast to the consumer it is at max 19Mb/s (MPEG2 1080i at full resolution/bit rate, doesn't matter the provider). Therefore, to push it through your network you would need to be able to send at 19Mb/s, which is easily accomplished with standard cat5e wiring (rating for Gb/s, but most people run it at 100Mb/s).

I never thought about switching it to single mode while I'm in the other room -

Does that affect the recordings on TV2 and OTA at all? Like, can I switch from Single to Dual and back with no ill effects on the recordings?

RAW HD is like 1.5Gbit/sec. However, when it is broadcast to the consumer it is at max 19Mb/s (MPEG2 1080i at full resolution/bit rate, doesn't matter the provider). Therefore, to push it through your network you would need to be able to send at 19Mb/s, which is easily accomplished with standard cat5e wiring (rating for Gb/s, but most people run it at 100Mb/s).

The problem with compression is the latency. To compress a video into MPEG2/4 at the box and decompress the video back at the TV2 takes time. If you change the channel in TV2, it takes some time before the channel changes. Correct me if i am wrong on this.

Copy Protection:
"Content owners have been using their influence to block CE manufacturers and cable/satellite operator from providing the original compressed source at the output of video devices."
"If the encryption layer protecting the compressed video is compromised, whoever gains access to the compressed content can generate perfect replicas of the content providers’ most valuable assets."

So D and E* wants to use technologies that do not compress video.

I have the 622 and like the TV2 output functionality due to the DVR sharing. I used to simulate this on cable by using an IR repeater and loved ditching that system.

Like most people, I'm thinking of upgrading my bedroom TV to a 1080p LCD and would like to get it an HD feed but I don't want a totally separate DVR recording bank. I don' t think Dishnetwork has the hardware to allow this but I'm wondering if any providers have this technology on the horizon?

When will we have a server-like receiver with a bunch of HD capable clients around the house?

Bobby

I'm sure it's technically feasable, but more than likely the holdup is the reactionary troglodytes in the MPAA who try to stand in the way of almost any new technology under the guise of "piracy".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)