HD DVR

pjc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
I need to buy a DVR for the bedroom. I have and HD DVR downstairs on my HDTV. The bedroom TV is not an HDTV. My question is, can I get another HD DVR and hook it up to a non-HDTV? Down the road, I will probably get an HDTV in the bedroom. I figure if I am swapping out boxes, I might as well get an HD box if I can so I don't have to get another box (and lose recordings) whenever I do get an HDTV upstairs. The cost for the box/month should be the same (with the additional $9.95/month charge for a 2nd DVR).

Thanks!
Pete

You should be able to go in person to one of the walk-in offices and ask for an HD DVR.
I've done it.

You should be able to go in person to one of the walk-in offices and ask for an HD DVR.
I've done it.

That's my plan, I was just curious if an HD-DVR will work on a non HDTV. I imagine it will.

That's my plan, I was just curious if an HD-DVR will work on a non HDTV. I imagine it will.

I have mine hooked up through the s-video connection.
It letter boxes the hd channels. I also set the letterbox background color to black from the standard grey.

As to losing recordings. It brings up an interesting question. How long does everyone keep stuff on their DVR? I keep a bunch of Backyardigans for the granchildren, but little else is retained very long. I got one of those 1Tb external disks to even make it possible to retain HD programming for a few weeks (to retain those blast-a-thons of network shows).

So my question is, are you really using your DVR as a long-term program retention device? If so, would you be retaining the non-HD version ONLY? You really cannot hold a lot of HD stuff on the CV DVR.

As to losing recordings. It brings up an interesting question. How long does everyone keep stuff on their DVR? I keep a bunch of Backyardigans for the granchildren, but little else is retained very long. I got one of those 1Tb external disks to even make it possible to retain HD programming for a few weeks (to retain those blast-a-thons of network shows).

So my question is, are you really using your DVR as a long-term program retention device? If so, would you be retaining the non-HD version ONLY? You really cannot hold a lot of HD stuff on the CV DVR.

Hi Beach,

The only program I've retained permantly is the HD Set-Up that was broadcast over the old INHD a few years back. Everything else I wish to keep is eventually dubbed onto DVD (with HD programs downconverted to 480 since even downconverted these look a million times better than their SD counterparts). Most I've ever had stored at one time was about 64%.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)