HD Enabling fee - $6 starting Feb 1st - If you dont have qualifying HD programming

bubba04 said:
Is this a one time fee or a monthly $6 fee? If it only costs six bucks one time to turn on OTA then it may not be that big of a deal. I waste way more than that on beer and donuts than I should. But I can see where this could upset some folks. I use the OTA tuner on my 50" sxrd and it does a MUCH better job at pulling in the stations than my 811 ever did. Man, these STB's are really starting to complicate things lately.
Bubba04

If its a one time fee then it should already be in the price of the reciever.

waltinvt said:
They may not be providing the OTA channels but they are going to charge you if you want to use their equipment to retrieve it.
For the life of me I can't understand why so many people here just don't get it. Dish exists for one purpose and one purpose only - to take as many $$ from you as they can possibly get away with. They've never been any different, they're just a little more obvious now.
Dish DOES NOT want you to watch OTA, they want you to watch Dish Network satellite channels.
The only reason they started putting OTA tuners in their receivers was because of competition but it's always been a "give with one hand, take away with the other hand" kind of deal.
I really don't get how anyone thinks its a fair deal. It doesn't effect me but if it did the nickle and diming of this company rivals cable now. OTA is free. Free....as in Dish has not provided it to their customers in HD. They have to make OTA tuners built in to their receivers because they must compete with Directv. Which by the way hasn't threatened a fee for me turning off my HD pack and using my receiver for OTAHD. But, now that Direct sees that Dish is charging ....maybe they will milk us for more cash like Dish is.
Bottom line is this.....Dish is now providing local ch's in HD. They know that alot of people already receive their locals in HD via OTA at better quality. So, Dish wants to serve a penalty for not subbing to their HD pack when you have a HD receiver. If I sub to the new ch's and a year down the road I decide that I am not happy with them because there is no new content being offered....it is my right to drop the package. I still sub to a AT pack....so at that point they would charge my 6 bucks because I wanted to use the OTA function of the receiver that I own? The only thing Dish does do(and someone stated it before) is to provide a guide for your local OTA ch's. But to say that a sub in good standing has to be charged 6 bucks for using the OTA function on a receiver that they are selling to us is very petty. Yes ...they want you to sub to their locals and HD pack...sure they do. Pull all of the HD recievers and make avaiable new ones without OTA functionability.

I possibly agree, you paid for the tuner when you bought the receiver, so why charge me a usage fee. Just like you would if you bought a HDTV with it built in.
Here's where i see a possible difference, I am unaware of any HDTV tuner that provides you with a programming guide that you can link to a timer so you can record it, I'm sure someone will correct me if they do exist. This is why only possibly.

Now i know for some of you, this EPG stuff doesn't work well. So i would be arguing that i wont pay the fee till dish provides a benefit that works. companies that I used to sell software too would do that all the time, we wont renew or pay until you fix, or give us an acceptable time-table to fix, this major bug.
When it was "free" you didn't have this business argument.

I actually dont use the OTA tuner at all, nor can i, so i would welcome a cheaper box without an OTA tuner, and i do subscribe to HDPAK so it wont affect me either, i hope !

If you OWN the box outright are you not entitled to the full use of all its features? In this case the answer is NO.

Isnt this how TIVO works...unless you pay them monthly or lump sum you have a boat anchor i.e. DVR feature are worthless? (someone with a Tivo correct me if need be) But in the case of Tivo I can see why because their SERVICE is their business.

In the case of E* OTA isnt their business and if I OWN the hardware I have purchased the right to use it. To deny my of this is bad business....

Also am I understanding this correctly that they will back port this to ALL current HD recievers as well? (say it aint so)

I see a situation here that ALL subscribers that get the MPEG-4 locals will have an issue with. Think about it. They announce a $6 HD Enabling fee. The MPEG-4 receiver is required to get the HD locals. We are supposed to get the HD locals for free if you already subscribe to SD locals. Does this mean that those that are going to get the MPEG-4 upgrade to get HD locals will have to pay the $6 HD Enabling fee or are the locals going to be qualified programming? The $6 is the same price as locals so maybe this is their way of getting a minimal amount whether someone takes locals or not if they want their locals through the HD OTA tuner. Or will you have to get an HD package in order to have qualifying programming to get the $6 HD Enabling fee waived?

Think about this, they are now going to waive the requirement to buying locals in DHA. They bring about the $6 HD Enabling fee which is the same cost as locals. Hmm, maybe they think that people are going to try to save some money by getting the locals from the HD OTA tuner in the HD receivers. Dish Network wants your money whether you get it from the satellite or from your OTA antenna. One way or another they will get your money.

T2k said:
Right, so I can just get one, program my multi-remote then send it back, saving the monhtly fee, let alone it's barely a dollar IIRC (was $0.75 at one of the most disgustin cable providers, TWCNYC last summer).
I agree with the post above, cable started looking better and better, week by week.

I've heard that some cable companies will disable the IR sensor on the cable box if you don't pay the remote rental fee.

Dang, thats weird lol. But if most dont pay the remote rental fee then wouldnt they not be paying any bill at all causing them to shut the box off?

I just looked at my bill online and saw a $3.95 charge for program guide. Does anyone else have this? Is this a charge for the program guide on the receiver?

Does that mean the p*ss poor software in the 811 will be put out of its misery and end-of-lifed? Living with that POS for 2+ years was a learning experience, and a bad one.

I don't get any HD programming from Dish (if they had it - HD*Lite LOL!) so I'll wait and see what Dish recommends for no HD 811 users when my 12 month contract runs out in May.

I'll definitely be looking at the $400 Dish->Comcast promotion if that's still running.

Or maybe it's time to get out the rabbit ears and stop feeding the pigs.

Stargazer said:
HD Enabling fee - $6.00 starting Feb. 1st - applies to Vip211 and Vip622 receivers - A fee that enables the receiver to receive HD programming. This fee is waived if customer subscribers to qualifiying HD programming or if such capability is deactivated upon customer's request.
I'm seeing more of these posts here, where a statement is layed out without any corroborating links or quotes. Can someone please direct me to the source for this information so I can form an intelligent opinion.

The only mention of $6 I found was this:
"Customers who do not subscribe to AT60, AT120, AT180, AEP, DishLATINO, DishLATINO Dos, DishLATINO Max, LEP, DishFAMILY, DishHD Bronze, DishHD Silver, DishHD Gold, DishHD Platinum or Great Wall TV Package will be charged a $6.00 per month Access Fee."

Hammer

It wouldn't be that big of a deal to me if the $6 fee was only for OTA, but what about if you only have HBO,Sho or the future Starz HD? I'm fine with the current $10 hd pack but the new HD pack is too expensive and my tv already has an OTA tuner with a fully working guide.

If they do want $6 to enable the premium HD hopefully the $10 pack will qualify and they will allow it to transfer when the forced upgrades happen. For now I plan to keep my 811 as long as I can.

Stargazer said:
HD Enabling fee - $6.00 starting Feb. 1st - applies to Vip211 and Vip622 receivers - A fee that enables the receiver to receive HD programming. This fee is waived if customer subscribers to qualifiying HD programming or if such capability is deactivated upon customer's request

hammerdown said:
...Can someone please direct me to the source for this information...

Anything? Anyone?

When you refere to cable and OTA as free, that is not true anymore. Stations are fighting tooth and nail and are winning the battle to make Cable pay them per sub to re-transmitt OTA. However, this is not true for Satellite services where you have to supply your own antenna. They are suppling the special tuner integrated with your Sat channels for convenience. However, I would say that $6 is too much.

I cannot give you a link because we did not get our information from a website. We got it from a file from the company. We cannot release the file because it contains retailer sensative information. This sites moderator along with other retailers can confirm this information. The $6 HD Enabling fee applies for MPEG-4 receivers if you do not purchase qualifying programming which is AT60, 120, 180.

That (*@#&ing sucks.

Why not have a billing fee? $2 billing surcharge for printing the bill, or convenience fee for autopay! Evil aint it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts