HD Enabling fee - $6 starting Feb 1st - If you dont have qualifying HD programming

Stargazer said:
...The $6 HD Enabling fee applies for MPEG-4 receivers if you do not purchase qualifying programming which is AT60, 120, 180.

Ok, so can you please clarify monthly, or one time?

Are they adding it to the newly increased $6/mo access fee => $12 in monthly fees???

Hammer

Sounds like a double gouging to me.

Adding HD to AT60, AT120, or AT180 costs an additional $20 a month.

Rumor has it that E* is going to charge $30 a month for HD alone, which means they are already hitting you for an extra $10/month for not having a qualifying package.

If this access fee adds another $6, then you are paying one access fee on top of another, for a total of a $16/month premium for not subbing to AT60.

If all of this is true, then one subbing to the new Family Tier plus HD would pay $20 + $30 + $6 = $56.

But if the same person got AT60 + HD (The Bronze Tier), then that would be $50.

So you would be paying $6 a month more for the Family + HD than for AT60 + HD, despite getting fewer channels with the Family option.

Now if the standalone price for the HD Pak is $20, not $30, then the Family + HD + access fee would be $46, and you would save a whopping $4/month over the Bronze Tier.

Last edited:
sampatterson said:
Could it be an MPEG4/h.264 royalty that they want to recover from customers.

BS. Again: it comes after you have paid for the unit already.

It's clearly a disgusting greedy sh*t, nothing else..

hammerdown said:
I'm seeing more of these posts here, where a statement is layed out without any corroborating links or quotes. Can someone please direct me to the source for this information so I can form an intelligent opinion.

The only mention of $6 I found was this:
"Customers who do not subscribe to AT60, AT120, AT180, AEP, DishLATINO, DishLATINO Dos, DishLATINO Max, LEP, DishFAMILY, DishHD Bronze, DishHD Silver, DishHD Gold, DishHD Platinum or Great Wall TV Package will be charged a $6.00 per month Access Fee."

Hammer

The access fee was always there if you only subscribed for HD Pack without any AT package. But now we're talking about using OTA without AT and that's never been subject to any monthly fee. Why would it be?
After they sold their STB for you, Dish doesn't do sh*t to get OTA HD on your screen (they only sell non-HD crap dubbed as HD, in fact).

Confirmed, no charge for 942 if you don't subscribe to HD. This is what I got back from CEO@Echostar e-mail.

"You are correct the 942 will not have a $6.00 access fee for not subscribing to the HD Pak."

Question, if I were to cancel my Dish account altogether, would the 942 still work to record/playback OTA HD only?

Stargazer said:
HD Enabling fee - $6.00 starting Feb. 1st - applies to Vip211 and Vip622 receivers - A fee that enables the receiver to receive HD programming. This fee is waived if customer subscribers to qualifiying HD programming or if such capability is deactivated upon customer's request.
WTF? They charge you $6 for NOT subscribing to HD? But, if you DO subscribe, they waive it? Are they out of their F-ing minds? Or, is this something in additional to the HD programming fees? (Which is also offensive.) Will there still be $5 add'l receiver fees and $5 DVR fees with these new DVR's? This is like that scene from "A Day At The Races" where Chico keeps finding new fees to charge Groucho for the tip sheet.

Last edited:
I have had a 6000 since they became available, MY FIRST AND ONLY Dish
receiver. When I bought it it did not have an OTA module. They said for $150 I could buy one. Between the Receiver $1250 and the OTA module I invested $1400. I later had to buy an QPSK or something like that because they were adding additional HD and that would allow you to receive the new transmissions. That was another $99. So for the last 6 years I have been receiving OTA transmissions with no fee. I pay a $5 a month access fee because I only now subscribe to the HDPAK + Voom plus a Service deal at $5.99 a month for a total of $26 a month. I only want the two new channels UHD and ESPN2, so to get those I have to pay $50 a month plus a DVR fee Plus Lease a 622 for $299 plus a $6. lease fee for a total of $62 minimum and if I tell Disk to take a flying _uck that my $1500 6000 will no longer work for OTA or will go dead after they send a crippling UPDATE to it. And I thought I could just subscribe to the NEW HDPAK and pay $30 and lease a 622. My mind is made up. I just started to save $26 a month.

GaryPen said:
WTF? They charge you $6 for NOT subscribing to HD? But, if you DO subscribe, they waive it? Are they out of their F-ing minds? Or, is this something in additional to the HD programming fees? (Which is also offensive.) Will there still be $5 add'l receiver fees and $5 DVR fees with these new DVR's? This is like that scene from "A Day At The Races" where Chico keeps finding new fees to charge Groucho for the tip sheet.

Yes..

$6.00 --- For not subing to HD pak
$6.00 --- DVR fee for not subing to AEP pack
$5.00 --- Additional reciever fee if this isnt your primary reciever

What supprise me most is how this ISNT a very big deal to so many on thise board.

Grab your ankles fella's you must all be enjoying this

$6 is going to be charged MONTHLY, not a one time fee, if you do not purchase a qualified package. If they are going to charge $30 for the package alone then why would they mention the HD enabling fee? If you did not order the HD package but wanted the OTA HD programming?

Paradox-SJ said:
Yes..

$6.00 --- For not subing to HD pak
$6.00 --- DVR fee for not subing to AEP pack
$5.00 --- Additional reciever fee if this isnt your primary reciever

What supprise me most is how this ISNT a very big deal to so many on thise board.

Grab your ankles fella's you must all be enjoying this

Cable looks better and better every single day... sure no Voom but enough from this f**kin gangrape Dish is about to perform.
Cable is expensive as well but at least don't sell you anything and THEN charge you for NOT using it...

Are we sure it can't be challenged somehow/ I mean don't tell me that's normal if a gas station owner sells you his car and when you are not using it, he will charg you for not spending money at this station or he would cripple the car so you cannot use it.
This is insane, seriously.

Disgusting greedy corporate crooks everywhere. :mad:
PS: sometimes I can understand why some people rather hack the system - this company successfully turns even pro-Dish fanboys into spitting anti-Dish folks... :(

Last edited:
Just got hit with Fee

Just got hit for $9.21 for the "enabling fee". It's $9.21 because of my billing period.

I have a 301 and a 811 and have subscribed to AT120 the HD package and voom for quite some time now.

I called on the 1st and upgraded my 301 to a 211 but hav'nt received it yet.

So why am I getting hit for the fee?????

If this is going to be added every month no matter what HD pak you get, don't tell us the HD is $20 a month. Tell us the truth it's really $26

TRSmudge

Last edited:
$6.00 + $3.21 Pro Rated (Partial Month) = $9.21. Something to make the customers even more disgruntled. Your getting hit for this fee if you do not have qualified programming. You will receive this fee every month until you subscribe to qualified programming which should be more than what you are paying now. Basically they want to make a minimal amount of money from each of you and they will get it one way or another. There is a targer for how much they want to make off of each of those MPEG-4 receivers. I think they are trying to make up for some of the upgrade costs they have now to get the MPEG-4 receivers and what they will be faced with in the future.

I am curious if the HD Enabling fee is per receiver or per account. My guess would be per account as the HD package is only charged per account.

Called

Called CSR and asked why am I getting the fee when I HAVE an HD package? They said it was a mistake and credited the $9.21 to my account.

I asked what the fee was for.....
"anyone who has an HD receiver and does not subscribe to some sort of HD package will be billed the $6 HD enabling fee"

So if you HAVE a HD package check your bill this month and make sure they didn't bill you the $$$ like they did me.

TRSmudge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)