HD equipment question for the forum...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geddy2112

Mar 16, 2005
Seattle
I know there are bits and pieces about this subject scattered among a bunch of previous threads, but I am hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction....

I currently have the standard 18" dish (D*) with two receivers. Due to some annoying "regulations" in my condo complex, I have not been able to upgrade to the triple LNB dish. I have a 65" widescreen and have been forced to use my cable provider for all of my HD so far (I know I could be using an off air antenna as well). And yes, cable does suck. ;)

Anyway... In the next six months to a year, I am going to be moving and will be getting a house either here (Seattle) or more likely back in New York. I know there is supposed to be some new birds up by then and I would like to know what to expect...

I see that the phase 3 dishes are going for literally a few bucks brand new these days (which makes me a bit nervous about their usefulness in the near future)... I also have seen that there is a new bird up around 72.5 now. With all of the new birds planned to be up in the near future, I don't want to go out any buy any gear just yet if it is going to become obsolete. Same goes for a receiver. I have come close to buying a Sony HD300 a few times now, but just couldn't bring myself to do it just yet.

So finally, a question. What is the future of satellite receiving equipment (standard and HD)? Please tell me that I don't need to be one of those houses (no offense to anyone here) that has four dishes mounted all over my roof... I have also heard that D* may be forcing everyone to buy the equipment directly from them and from "authorized installation centers". Is there any truth to that? I want to do my own work... I refuse to have some part time, minimum wage "dude" blasting holes in my house! :D

Ok, I'm done now... Thank you everyone.

What ever you buy now, will be upgraded at no cost when D* adds more satellite's or goes to MPEG4 for all HD channels. The HD300 is the best HD DirecTV receiver, but it costs way too much. They have been going for $1000+ new in box on ebay. Not really worth it, to use for a couple of years at most. Which ever receiver you end up getting, don't spend too much and when the time comes, DirecTV will upgrade you to a new H20 HD receiver at no charge, and what ever 4-6 LNB dish that they will require at the time. Or you could go for an HD DirecTivo now. That will also be upgraded free of charge.

mini1 you are 100% correct about the Sony HD 300 being the best HD STB.

LG makes the Sony HD 300. LG's version of the Sony HD 300 is its LSS-3200A. We sell factory refurbished LSS-3200A's with a new complete accessory pack for $349.99.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)