HD Forum - ESPN & ESPN2 College Football Awful PQ

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
Tuned into the Illinois-Mizzou game on ESPN_HD this evening and I thought my eyes weren't focusing. The blur in the PQ of the full field shots at the snap was awful. Realized that it wasn't my eyes, so I thought maybe it was just a bad hookup from the game site through ESPN to Dish. Checked the game on ESPN2-HD and saw the same blur. Hmmm, maybe it's my TV. Go to the game on ABC, which I receive via OTA, not Dish, and no blur.

While surfing other forums on other web sites this evening I noted that others have been complaining about blur on ESPN and ESPN2 college football for a couple of days. Guess it definitely isn't just me.

So is the problem Dish or ESPN? If I have to go through the season like this I'll probably stop watching college football unless it is available OTA.

Not a happy camper!

Earlier game looked great. Must have been using "B" equipment for that one.

FOXRM's (Fox Rocky Mountain) broadcast of the CU/CSU game Sunday had excellent PQ. I don't know what was going on with the ESPN and ESPN2 games Saturday, but they were clearly inferior. They looked like an SD up-convert rather than an actual HD telecast. Just don't know if it was ESPN's fault or Dish's tranmission that screwed up the PQ. BTW, I'm an Illini alum (so sad they lost) so I had a real interest in seeing a quality HD broadcast of the game.

ESPN-HD and ESPN2-HD college football games this weekend had excellent PQ. Whatever the problem was seems to have been fixed. Either that or maybe they were so over-extended that they were using some sub-standard gear for the broadcast.

One or two games were tolerable. One was even upconverted widescreen SD. However, it wasn't completely unwatchable unlike last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts