HD Free For Life Returns!

Glad to see Dish saw the error of thier ways, but just like chadt stated, even though there is no seperate fee for hd, we are still paying for it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't get why people got all bent out of shape over that promotion change. The free HD for 24 months did not affect anyone at all. Everyone has had the option to get HD for free as long as they signed up for auto pay and paperless billing. All Dish did was change the name of their promotion for marketing reasons. I'm sure we've all seen Dish do this from time to time. They will make slight changes or reword promotions just to stir things up yet nothing really affects what the customer is paying overall.

Reactions: ChadT41
Considering Directv got rid of their HD access fees, I don't think they had a choice

Did they though or change what it's called to something else? I don't know from first hand knowledge but a couple of posters at least implied it got dropped and another fee added, first receiver fee? I could be wrong.....

The Hopper has a $12 dvr service charge. Cox cable has a dvr service charge and an extra charge for the HD version of their receiver, yet they claim that HD is FREE.

Reactions: Tampa8
Stop looking at the individual fees and just look at the final price. Too many people get caught up in these fees when the only thing that matters is the final price. I have to deal with this all the time in my business. A customer will come into my business and tell me I'm too expensive and they can get the same thing at Lowes for cheaper. I always tell them to make sure they look at the final price. Make sure you know how much it's going to be after delivery, installations, extra materials and taxes. Once you do that, then you can tell me if I'm too expensive or not. You also need to consider the level of service provided and what value that has as well.

Yep, the bottom line is all that really matters.

It is kind of like when you go to buy a new car. They show you some sheet of paper with all sorts of numbers on it and then try to get you into actually looking at them and discussing those numbers.

Last time I bought a car, they did that and I said let's look at it from a one-number standpoint, and then I said here's what I'll pay out the door. We never talked any other number than bottom line after that.

With my sat service I want to know what kind of monthly check I need to write to get the channels/services I want. How that number is created is something that doesn't matter at all and just obfuscates the issue.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8 and thomasjk
Stop looking at the individual fees and just look at the final price. Too many people get caught up in these fees when the only thing that matters is the final price. I have to deal with this all the time in my business. A customer will come into my business and tell me I'm too expensive and they can get the same thing at Lowes for cheaper. I always tell them to make sure they look at the final price. Make sure you know how much it's going to be after delivery, installations, extra materials and taxes. Once you do that, then you can tell me if I'm too expensive or not. You also need to consider the level of service provided and what value that has as well.

Have friends that are always searching for a lower price and then have "problems". They ask me they ask me why I don't seem to have any. Tell them I learned the lesson when living close to nowhere for 20 years. Find a local dealer/contractor/installer you trust and pay them what they ask and use them whenever possible. You either have no problems or when you do, your loyalty gets you fast service with no haggling about details. And it is cheaper in the end.

Have friends that are always searching for a lower price and then have "problems". They ask me they ask me why I don't seem to have any. Tell them I learned the lesson when living close to nowhere for 20 years. Find a local dealer/contractor/installer you trust and pay them what they ask and use them whenever possible. You either have no problems or when you do, your loyalty gets you fast service with no haggling about details. And it is cheaper in the end.

I like the way you think. I'm the same way. When I ask a friend to do work for me I also tell him to charge me what he needs to be paid and not give me any special deals. I feel that people and businesses that do good work deserve to get paid more than all the cheap crap out there. There is a time and a place for being cheap.

I haggle with my buddies that do things like my plumbing, but I always pay what he wants, and we make up for it in trades of services. Normally it's just like price of parts and 2 cases of beer.
If he has TV issues, or electronics issues, I'm usually the first phone call. It's a nice system. Since I don't have parts, I tell him to buy what he needs or how to acquire them, and I will install them.

When I signed up for Dish in January I had self installed with all my own equipment (in order to avoid a contract).

I didn't qualify for HD free for any length of time, or any discount at all. I was not even offered a discount for choosing paperless and autopay. All I got was free premiums for a month (I think it was all of the premiums, at least the main ones not including EPIX).

I mean, you figure with most customers, they are probably not even making a profit the first year of the contract, considering the costs of the truck roll, and equipment (even if it's leased it's still depreciated when it comes back).

So that's why I make them print a bill every month, which I promptly pay online, and the bill goes in a pile with some other mail that eventually gets shredded up and thrown away.

If I had signed up today under the same circumstances, would I get HD free (assuming I agreed to paperless/autopay)?

If I was paying $10/month for HD, I would look at the Dish America packages to see if any of the packages meet your needs, since you can get HD that way without paying an additional fee. I have HD free for life, but subscribe to DA anyway because it meets my needs at the lowest cost for HD programming.

If none of the DA packages meet your needs, I would give Dish a call on Nov. 6th and see if you can qualify for free HD under the new rules.

If you pay for your own equipment and install it yourself then Dish does not have near as much in that customer than they would with someone that would take a promotion and have an installer install the system.

Also, if Dish is only making around $5 per month per sub but its costing them over $800 to acquire the sub, then there are some major problems.

If you pay for your own equipment and install it yourself then Dish does not have near as much in that customer than they would with someone that would take a promotion and have an installer install the system.

If by "near as much" you mean "investment", then yeah. Dish had to invest $0 in that customer. That means Dish is able to profit immediately - and without risk for non-payment, as the signal is simply shut off and that's it.

Also, if Dish is only making around $5 per month per sub but its costing them over $800 to acquire the sub, then there are some major problems.

I don't know any of the dollar figures, but it's a safe assumption to say that Dish's standard (non-promo) rates are profitable. The promo rates - I don't know. They might be a break even price point on the programming. The receiver and DVR fees are probably pure profit (after accounting for depreciation of equipment).

When I signed up for Dish in January I had self installed with all my own equipment (in order to avoid a contract).

I didn't qualify for HD free for any length of time, or any discount at all. I was not even offered a discount for choosing paperless and autopay. All I got was free premiums for a month (I think it was all of the premiums, at least the main ones not including EPIX).

I mean, you figure with most customers, they are probably not even making a profit the first year of the contract, considering the costs of the truck roll, and equipment (even if it's leased it's still depreciated when it comes back).

So that's why I make them print a bill every month, which I promptly pay online, and the bill goes in a pile with some other mail that eventually gets shredded up and thrown away.

If I had signed up today under the same circumstances, would I get HD free (assuming I agreed to paperless/autopay)?

All you have to do is call Dish and tell them you want the HD Free promo. The only requirement that I know of is to had HD equipment and sign up for paperless billing with auto pay.

So they changed the requirement of a commitment? Originally it was 24 month commitment accepted online, autopay and paperless billing. It was a $10/month remaining fee for ETF if accepted. That's why they also(at one point) offered the $99 commitment free, and no autopay and paperless billing option.

"Existing customers who do not already subscribe to HD programming will not have it added to their account with this update."
I don't know about before the 6th, but the way I am reading it, yes once they upgrade to HD, they can pay $10 or ask for HDFFL, then enroll in AP and PB certainly after the 6th.

The $99 deal no longer available was good for those adverse to AP or PB especially if you remained with DISH.

OK, its as I thought, so thank you for confirming this. Much appreciate those who help folks like me.

So they changed the requirement of a commitment? Originally it was 24 month commitment accepted online, autopay and paperless billing. It was a $10/month remaining fee for ETF if accepted. That's why they also(at one point) offered the $99 commitment free, and no autopay and paperless billing option.

Yeah, it was, but clearly Dish wants the steady revenue and make them "pay" form those folks if they won't help cuts Dish's costs on billing, and traditional billing is a legitimately EXPENSIVE component for any business. This is a good example of a company offering the consumer something in exchange for helping the company cut costs, unlike the banks who give you NOTHING in return for paperless billing.

Any new customer that signs up with Dish gets HD equipment. It's just that they still have a lot of SD equipment out there. I'm sure Direct still has SD equipment out there too.

If that's true, then Dish should update their website. They still have their old SD receivers (322, 512, 625, etc...) listed on their receivers page. http://www.dish.com/technology/receivers-dvrs/

New PIA customers on WA still get SD equipment. I think what @Scherrman was leaning towards is the large majority of new customers will automatically get HD equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts