HD Free For Life Returns!

Existing customers who currently receive HD Free for 24 Months will be automatically switched to HD Free for Life. They will not roll to pay once the 24-month free period expires.
Existing customers who complete a DISH’n It Up or Move-In Deal Receiver Upgrade that includes an upgrade to HD programming/equipment for the first time on or after November 6 also will receive HD Free for Life.
Existing customers who do not already subscribe to HD programming will not have it added to their account with this update.

Reactions: TheKrell
waiting for the......

* small print

I just looked on the portal and I don't see anything for customers to worry about. Existing customers get transferred to free for life and all new customer are subject to the same rules as before.

So if you had HD prior to the switch to Free for 24 Months you were not paying extra for it. If you signed up during the Free for 24 Months period you are going to be switched to Free for Life. So come the 6th of November nobody should be paying for HD correct? I do not even know why they are differentiating between HD and SD. HD is now the standard. Does anyone even have an SD tv any more? I do not know anyone with an SD TV and that includes my technology challenged 80 year old parents and some retaliative poor people. SD tv have not even been available for purchase new in over 5 years; close to 10. I had a garage sale last week and put a 27" SD JVC TV out and put a sign on FREE. I made close to $300 in my garage sale but no one took the TV I had to take it to the thrift store.

Quite a few people still have SD tvs including folks here. Will run them till they break and then might update, but the damn things don't break.

Lol. I'm about to sift through my phones dictionary and fix this. It's ruining my messages to my GF too. Although powerless billing fits as well. Haha.

PAPERLESS billing.

So if you had HD prior to the switch to Free for 24 Months you were not paying extra for it. If you signed up during the Free for 24 Months period you are going to be switched to Free for Life. So come the 6th of November nobody should be paying for HD correct? I do not even know why they are differentiating between HD and SD. HD is now the standard. Does anyone even have an SD tv any more? I do not know anyone with an SD TV and that includes my technology challenged 80 year old parents and some retaliative poor people. SD tv have not even been available for purchase new in over 5 years; close to 10. I had a garage sale last week and put a 27" SD JVC TV out and put a sign on FREE. I made close to $300 in my garage sale but no one took the TV I had to take it to the thrift store.

Some people are paying $10 for HD because they refuse to go autopay, paperless or even both.

Some people are paying $10 for HD because they refuse to go autopay, paperless or even both.
Why would someone not do autopay and paperless billing? I have for years; its great. First off I have it charged to a credit card that I pay off monthly and get 1% cash back on. So for my roughly $120 a month bill time 12 months I get about $14 cash back each year plus I do not have to buy close to $6 a year in stamps to mail the bill each month. I also never have to worry about late fees as the bill is just handled. Then what is my time worth. So to not do paperless billing with autopay you would be giving up about $14 a year in free cash, paying $6 a year for stamps, and paying another $10 a month for service for a total of around $140 a year. I guess some people just have a lot of time on their hands and really like writing checks and buying stamps.

Why would someone not do autopay and paperless billing? I have for years; its great. First off I have it charged to a credit card that I pay off monthly and get 1% cash back on. So for my roughly $120 a month bill time 12 months I get about $14 cash back each year plus I do not have to buy close to $6 a year in stamps to mail the bill each month. I also never have to worry about late fees as the bill is just handled. Then what is my time worth. So to not do paperless billing with autopay you would be giving up about $14 a year in free cash, paying $6 a year for stamps, and paying another $10 a month for service for a total of around $140 a year. I guess some people just have a lot of time on their hands and really like writing checks and buying stamps.

You don't have to tell me the benefits of doing it, I think it's a no brainer. Try talking elderly people into doing it though.

Okay so just to confirm:

You will still need to do paperless billing and autopay to get HD FFL correct? Or is everyone just getting it for free now?

If you have to be on autopay, can you set the date that it comes out of your account or how does that work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd like to see them do away with that fee, something or similar like directv did.

I know a few people who still have SD and no HD. But yes HD is the standard now so I see nothing special with this HD Free for Life thing, it's just a stupid marketing ploy by Dish.
What's next 4k Free for Life? I think by 2016/17 all the TV stations on Cable and Satellite will broadcast in HD. What I'd like to see is Dish get rid of the $10 charge for BB@Home. I never signed up for it
I just got changed to it when they had $10. for HD, which included Epix movie channels. I think they should have BB@Home Free for Life instead.

Here are all the rules,

Effective November 6, 2014, eligible new and certain existing Residential and Commercial customers will receive HD Free for Life.
New customer qualifications remain the same:• Qualify for DHA24 Elite, Plus or Standard, Flex24 or DBA24 Plus.• Sign up for AutoPay with Paperless Billing.• Select HD Programming with a subscription to America’s Top 120 and higher or DishLATINO Plus and higher.
Existing customers who currently receive HD Free for 24 Months will be automatically switched to HD Free for Life. They will not roll to pay once the 24-month free period expires.Existing customers who complete a DISH’n It Up or Move-In Deal Receiver Upgrade that includes an upgrade to HD programming/equipment for the first time on or after November 6 also will receive HD Free for Life.
Existing customers who do not already subscribe to HD programming will not have it added to their account with this update.

It was silly for Dish to really think that not including HD for free was a winning strategy. I know they did it to have something to advertise.

How did they do it?

All equipment is hd now. They lowered the advanced receiver fee but now charge for the 1st box. All new customers get hd regardless.

Used to be you could get a $10 month discount on the advanced receiver fee with auto pay & paperless billing for 24 months. Those with a standard hd box paid the $10 fee no discount available.

They aren't losing any money, they just cleverly done away with the term & hd is included now.

Dish could do something similar IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts