HD from Dish. What do you want ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HD from Dish. What do you want ?

• More HD channels

Votes: 37 18.2%
  • Full bandwidth and resolution HD (no "HD Lite")

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • More HD channels & full bandwidth and resolution

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Reduce the # of HD channels to gain full bandwidth and resolution

Votes: 13 6.4%
  • Reduce bandwidth and resolution further to gain more HD channels

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
I mentioned this in another thread and figure it's worth asking.... I suspect I know which will "win". Finally, let's presume for now that any changes would have NO effect on current pricing.

Please, no specific channels. That's not the point of this poll.

This is a pointless poll when you have an option like the 3rd one. That is like asking someone if they would rather they win $10, $20 or $100.

Well if I had the choice I would pick More HD channels & full bandwidth and resolution. Seeing that we won't get both for sometime, I guess I would like more HD channels.

Given that bandwidth is a limited resource it's very unlikely that Dish will choose to give us more HD channels AND higher quality. Sorry, the option of #3 pretty much invalidates this poll. :(

The poll I'd like to see is if people want more HD channels or higher quality of existing HD channels.

If they want more HD channels, what channels would they want?

If they want higher quality, what HD channels they would be willing to sacrifice to give higher quality?

HOw about how much are you willing to pay for more HD Channels? That should be an option poll as well. Because if you think that Dish is going to add more hd channels without going up on the price , you are wrong sir.

...if you think that Dish is going to add more hd channels without going up on the price, you are wrong sir.
Got anymore variables to add ?? It would make it hard to create a poll if you have to consider every, single possible variable, don't you think ?? As I said originally, let's presume a pricing change isn't involved here. Is that too difficult ??

Unless Dish has transponders that aren't currently in use they are most likely at full bandwidth right now. Odds are that they couldn't raise the price high enough to pay for another satellite just for better/more HD on its own. Given that most people are unhappy about any price changes to begin with I'd leave that out of the equation.

That boils the poll down to two basic choices:
- I want more HD channels at the cost of no improvement of HD quality
- I want better HD quality and at the cost of having additional HD channels

The bottom line being do you want more variety or better quality?

That boils the poll down to two basic choices:
- I want more HD channels at the cost of no improvement of HD quality
- I want better HD quality and at the cost of having additional HD channels

The bottom line being do you want more variety or better quality?

I would vote to get rid of a couple of the HD channels I don't watch, so that the ones that I do watch could have more bandwidth. But unless we all agree on the ones to go, even answering that way is useless.

What happens when DISH get's rid of Equator-HD, when that is one of the channels I was hoping to use the extra bandwidth? :(
I think I would be happier leaving things as they are than losing one of my favorite channels.

Anytime a channel is removed because of low "usage" (not sure of the right term), the tiny minority that did watch it cry out... It's a no-win situation.

I read on one of the CES threads that Dish says they have additional unused bandwidth right now. Somehow we need to convince them to increase quality while since they don't know what additional HD channels they want to add!

This is a pointless poll when you have an option like the 3rd one. That is like asking someone if they would rather they win $10, $20 or $100.

I don't know that this is equivalent. Maybe offer more channels, but a higher price level :)

Given that bandwidth is a limited resource it's very unlikely that Dish will choose to give us more HD channels AND higher quality. Sorry, the option of #3 pretty much invalidates this poll. :(

The poll I'd like to see is if people want more HD channels or higher quality of existing HD channels.

The options seemed to be FULL quality. What if, at a minimum, they at least improved the quality?

From normal viewing distance, it is normally pretty good for me on my new 46" TV. Even SD can look pretty good. My big issue may be a Mpeg4 issue, I don't know, but sometimes movies seem to get a "grainy" look.

I posted this previously but, the HD picture quality on Monday night was exceptional across all channels, even VOOM and StarzHD. No one can convince me otherwise that E* did not increase resolution and/or bitrate to improve picture quality on that night. Was it a coincidence that Monday night was opening night for CES? Is it just a coincidence that E* has prime resolution and high bitrate on the demo channel on 61.5? In my opinion, they can provide the better bandwidth now if they want to, but they choose not to. Earlier, I was watching Nanny McPhee on HBOHD. Motion artifacting was terrible. HBOHD was pristine on Monday night. I'm neither blind or imagining what I saw.

I posted this previously but, the HD picture quality on Monday night was exceptional across all channels, even VOOM and StarzHD. No one can convince me otherwise that E* did not increase resolution and/or bitrate to improve picture quality on that night. Was it a coincidence that Monday night was opening night for CES? Is it just a coincidence that E* has prime resolution and high bitrate on the demo channel on 61.5? In my opinion, they can provide the better bandwidth now if they want to, but they choose not to. Earlier, I was watching Nanny McPhee on HBOHD. Motion artifacting was terrible. HBOHD was pristine on Monday night. I'm neither blind or imagining what I saw.

CES is not over, so how do explain DISH only increasing quality for one night?
If DISH has the bandwidth to do it one night why not keep it going at least until the show is over. That doesn't make any sense. Was Charlie channel flipping during his presentation?

Is there a source where you can find all the national hd programing available now (not only dish but all programing) and something like a schedule of when new stations are coming on line?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts