HD image quality

edwinb

Original poster
Jun 22, 2008
Greetings! This is my first post here and I've been a Cablevision HD customer since Sep-07 and I've got a 8300HD DVR connected via HDMI to a Sony KDL46XBR4 .

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed an image quality drop on the HD channels I watch, mostly on GalleryHD and HDNews which produced the best quality image across the HD channel lineup. But now I notice mosaic effects and other artifacts where I didn't used to on these channels and the only explanation I can think of, barring any technical issues, is signal over -compression. I also have a PS3 for a BluRay player connected via HDMI and swapped cables and notice no drop in image quality.

Tech support's suggestion was to replace the box, but is there a way to verify that some additional compression was recently activated?

Thanks! -Edwin

Hi...I also have CV & the 8300HD DVR & I believe the problem is with CV's putting the Voom channels to SVD (switch digital video) at least you are getting them I get them on & off (mostly off) ever since they made the change & I agree that the Voom channels had the best HD PQ of all their HD channel. lets just hope that CV gets their act together & can fix the problem b4 I make a choice to go to another service

I also have a PS3 for a BluRay player connected via HDMI and swapped cables and notice no drop in image quality.

You cannot compare Cable, Fios or Satellite to a BluRay Disc. A BluRay will always look better. I personal believe the HD 8300 DVR box sucks... But that's my opinion.

You cannot compare Cable, Fios or Satellite to a BluRay Disc. A BluRay will always look better. I personal believe the HD 8300 DVR box sucks... But that's my opinion.

I have been a TIVO user and understand why people balk at the 8300HD...but hey, I didn't have to buy my box and I do get to save all my SD and HD programming for later viewing. I even added an external hard drive for extra capacity.

I'm kinda suprised that Cablevision tech is having issues with the conversion of Voom channels to SDV. Perhaps that's an issue since Cablevision is broken into many regional systems?

I just spent the last 5 days in Atlantic City, there to see Rush last night. I stayed at Caesar's for my trip and was able to watch a good amount of tv. They had Philips flat panel HDTV's, probably 32"-34" connected to Comcast. I was quite pleased with the picture quality! MUCH better than Cablevision. I watched a handful of movies on both TNTHD and Universal HD, Wimbeldon Tennis, along with a few Phillies games. I saw no evidence of any of the problems I see here at home watching cable. In fact, other programs on TNT looked fantastic. I'm not certain if the tv's were LCD or Plasma...perhaps someone would know this info.