HD Install Friday...I have 2" pole, put over existing pole that's concreted in?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

akgarrett62

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Cookeville, TN
I am a current D* customer without HD.

I purchased the Slimline off of an individual locally, and I have the SL3 LNB that I need...I am off of Nashville market so I don't need 110 or 119.

The pole is nice and is about the same length as my current pole in the ground that the non-HD service dish is attached to.

It would be nice to slip the new pole over the old one, however I know there has to be a secure way for the new pole not to wobble. I don't want to use concrete in between...just seems like it would be a complete mess and wouldn't be enough space in between there to fill it well w/concrete.

Any solutions?...or should I just take the old one out and concrete in the new pole? No need to waste a good 2" pole.

Tks.

If the 2" pole will indeed slip over the existing pole, then there is no reason why not. But, I would drill at least two holes through both and bolt them together.

I had the exact dilema recently. The installer just put the 2" pole over the top and screwed them together in 3 places. Extremely sturdy, you shouldn't have any problems. The only issue was the pole was a little bitter taller now because they didn't have a hacksaw to cut it down to size. Oh well. Beats digging up concrete.

Technically a Tech isnt supposed to do that, but IMO if the original pole is set sturdy in concrete and has not started to rust at the base of the concrete "sleeving" the 2" pole is fine.. but I would dig to the concrete first and inspect the pole where the concrete starts.

Yes a lot of the lesser techs in our area will just place the 2" pole over the old pole and use self tap screws to secure the 2" pole.

will the hex head self tapping screws, used specifically for like sheet metal, go through both poles okay, or would drilling be required.

If I have to drill, I'd rather just drill through it all and use a bolt and nut fastener.

I would recommend a through-bolt over a tech screw any day. With the through-bolt you can crush the post a little to make the most solid contact.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)