HD install without HD TV

WhenYouAwake

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Western MA
I'm planning on upgrading to HD by the end of the month. If I call and get an install date before the HD TV is delivered will they still be able to do the install? The old TV will be here for them to hook up and check connections and signal levels.

I'm planning on upgrading to HD by the end of the month. If I call and get an install date before the HD TV is delivered will they still be able to do the install? The old TV will be here for them to hook up and check connections and signal levels.

As I type I have a Vip622 locked in on the four satellites I need connected to an old 27" CRT TV. I set it up this afternoon after moving an existing 625 into another room. My HDTV should be delivered sometime this week but I intend to activate the Vip622 Monday.

As of about 8:25 PDT I have my leased Vip622 activated with the HD Pack and still attached to our 27" CRT. Our HDTV is scheduled for delivery tomorrow between 12 and 3.

Thank you. That's good to know. The TV won't be delivered until next week, and I don't want to pass on a chance to get Dish up here before then.

Thanks for the info.

The receiver will work fine on a standard TV and the installer could care less what he/she hooks it up to so long as he/she can complete the job. They might wonder why you're getting an HD receiver with no HDTV but saying "I just ordered one..." will make them content.

The installer is the one who originally installed the dish almost two years ago, and just recently came up and to repair a leg of the dish that got ripped out when the ice came off the roof. I was very impressed when he went through all the connections and wiring, and even replaced a connection he thought might give me trouble in the future. I tipped him very well and he told me if I had any problems just call him and he would come up and help me out. I figure if after I get the TV something doesn't seem right I can just give him a call instead of going through Dish.

Call him ?? I suspect you could post your question and get answers well before he can show up.... When you get the new TV, hook it up with component cables (for now) and check the settings in the "HDTV Setup" menu on the 622. You'll need to be familiar with this menu in order to get things to work on your non-HDTV for the time being (I think .... they may not apply to the S-Video or composite outputs).

Reason I said to use component cables -- which, by the way, can be bought for less than $20 .... do NOT buy "Monster" cables or similar for $40-100 -- is that HDMI still isn't 100% compatibility-wise. Besides, most people can't see any difference.

I have enough component cables to stock a store. Mostly Acoustic Research brand. Does the 622 come with any cables? I've seen some postings saying yes, and some saying no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)