HD installed next week, anything I need to know?

Keith,

Let's see it I understand what you are trying to do.
You want to be able to use the 811 for both HD and OTA signals. That's doable. You can use the output of 811 into 1 TV input. The 811 will manage both signals (Sat and OTA).
Next you want to use the 721 with a cable signal thru a diplexer to separate the 2 signal (Sat & Cable). that's doable except you will need a different feed for sat. If you split the signal that goes into the 811, you will get signal degradation and can only use one of the boxes (811 or 721) at a time.
Assuming that you can diplex another line for the sat with the cable line, you will still need a separate input for each signal into the TV in addition to the input needed by the 811 and OTA feeds.

You could have your cake and it too, if you have an Audio-Video receiver that can combine multiple input signal into one output. Then you could feed that output into the 2nd input at the TV. You would use the Audio-Video receiver to switch between sources.

If you don't have such a receiver, you will need 3 signal input into the TV.

Do you have 3 input into the TV? If not, you cannot do what you want to do.

Sorry.

Franzius

Oh, Boy! Looks like I'm going to be in trouble! I bought a house with Dish already installed. Two dishes on the roof and 2 IRDs (one is a 2 channel). System operates OK. But now in want to install my 42" HD Plasma and my combo DVD/VCR. I can't find retailers with Dish-compatible HD receivers in stock. Radio Shack says the JVC 811 is obsolete and they are waiting for a new model. Sears says they only sell the complete system.
Dish, (#1) on the phone, says I can buy ANY BRAND of HD IRD and put the Dish Smart Card in it. Dish (#2) says #1 has no clue and they will only install a complete $999. package, including an HD TV set! Dish (#3) gives me addresses of Retailers from whomI can buy an 811 but I have to rely on the Retailer to provide an installer. None of the Retailers Dish gave me answered the phone (Saturday or Sunday). So
if Dish #1 is right I could buy a generic HD IRD (Samsung, RCA,Motorola etc.,) at Circuit City, Best Buy or whereever. But the SD IRDs I have have no Smart Cards in the slots. I'm told they have permanent Access Cards!? So what can I do for the HD IRD authorization?
Maybe I just trash Dish and go to DirecTV? Ideas, Please.

Franz,

I have enough inputs on the Sony to handle the multiple inputs. Also, I need to upgrade my AV receiver from the Pro-Logic to 6.1 or 7.1 receiver. I figure another year with a new Receiver and getting my in wall speakers I should have a decent system in place. Time and money are always two concerns, but keep plugging away.

Simon,

I know it sounds complicated, but I had both cable/sat. with the 721 and think I should be able to treat the HD receiver as separate input to the TV. I have 7 inputs including the front jacks. I just thought about it I might be able to use my PIP with two sat. receivers now. :)

For those that were wondering I have not had time to "work" with the set up lately. Too much other things to do at this time. I will keep you updated...

smith ja,

I am on the Home Plan and rent the equipment. Just got the HD Receiver for 99 bucks, plus have to take HD programming for a year..

Call Dishnetwork and they will set up an install for you...