HD installed next week, anything I need to know?

keithshoe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
Jacksonville
Do I need to pick up a new cable?

What about an off air antenna? The lady on the phone would not throw one in for me. Also, told by first CSR I could get HBO free for a month, but unable to talk lady into it that called and set up install.

Should have called back and talked to CSR now that I think about it....

Thanks for any help..

Sony 51" 501 waiting for new HD feed.............. :)

It's a late Mother's Day gift for the wife... ;)

Another question, should I run the HD receiver and my PVR receiver together?

The CSR said I could do this, giving them back 301 that I am not using right now.

I know it will not record in HD, but like to be able to still use the PVR on the main TV, along with the HD.

BTW, getting the HD receiver for 99.00 one time, plus paying 109.00 for a year's HD programs.

200 bucks to try it out..

Keith,

When they deliver your unit they will supply you with a cable to connect to the new tv. More than likely they will use a Component connection, which is a good connection. Once the bugs are worked out of the 811 it might be worth the effort to try a DVI connection, but by no means would it be required.

I do believe the pvr unit should run just fine with the 811. You are correct in assuming no hd recording, and keep in mind that you could deminish your sd picture quality by processing the signal twice. One of those things you will have to try out and see how it works. Personally I keep my 510 in my bedroom and do all my pvr there.

You will love the HD picture, it can take your breath away. But when reality sets in and you realize how little hd content you get for $9.99 a month you will wonder why you do it like the rest of us.

Hopefully some fixes are coming soon for all of us, and our enthusiasm level may raise a bit. I dont think you will regret your Mom's day purchase, any time you feel bummed just pop a dvd in and all ur troubles will drift away..

keithshoe said:
thanks.........

Do you own this unit?

Yes I do. I also have a 510 hooked up to the same system. I only use the 811 for HD, or if I want to watch something else while recording with the 510 (The cutting edge single-tuner digital VCR.).

The 811 is too much of a pain in the butt to use as my main, everyday receiver.

I will start with both hooked up, then go with the PVR in the bedroom if needed.

What about a good OTA antenna. Mainly getting the receiver for the local feeds OTA because knew there was not much HD on the 4 channels. Looks like I will add HBO for another 13 bucks for awhile and see how the HBO HD looks and if it is worth the price.

Another board was talking about a good antenna from Radio Shack, but can not find the thread. Thanks for the comments, figured spending 100 bucks on receiver was not bad after spending 2000 bucks for the TV.

If all your OTA digital stations are on UHF, then I whole-heartedly recommend the Zenith Silver Sensor.
If you need VHF, Terk just came out with a similar design, but with the addition of VHF. It's called HDTVi or something. (I know Terk has a horrible rep, but these have gotten good reviews.)

Review from getting the HD receiver.

The install guy could go back to bagging burgers in the drive thru line. He starts by getting ready to take my PVR unit. I tell him I am KEEPING that and giving him a 301.
He has go outside and call his boss. Comes back in and tells me he is going to have to charge me for another line to run. I tell him that he does NOT have to run another line. Just leave me the box. I work nights, and got up early to hear this.

His comment was I has to install to make sure it works. I tell him just hook up the HD receiver and I would take care of the rest. He was able to get the 811 hooked up.
I was impressed with the HD signal. Also, impressed getting TNT the first day. My OTA antenna is only able to pick up the CBS feed. Watched CSI tonight, with a couple of glitches and one lost signal. Signal Strength about 84 percent. Other channels not picking up.

My question though, when I hooked up the PVR with the 811 I used my diplexer to keep my cable feed also. I want to run the PVR feed through another input to TV.
I was only able to pick up one sat. with this set up, then was not able to pick up anything but the menu on the 811. Just a blank screen.
Next day, just connected the 811 back up and it works OK, but would like to have both units working to use my PVR on my Main TV. Should I use a splitter for the main feed, then use the diplexer on the PVR feed like I had before? I know that I am losing some signal strength, but getting over 100 signal of the Sat. here in Florida.

BTW,

I am getting TNT HD and also getting the Siruis channels that I was not getting with my 721 PVR.

Music does sound a little better, but have not listened much.........

keithshoe said:
My question though, when I hooked up the PVR with the 811 I used my diplexer to keep my cable feed also. I want to run the PVR feed through another input to TV.
I was only able to pick up one sat. with this set up, then was not able to pick up anything but the menu on the 811. Just a blank screen.
Next day, just connected the 811 back up and it works OK, but would like to have both units working to use my PVR on my Main TV. Should I use a splitter for the main feed, then use the diplexer on the PVR feed like I had before? I know that I am losing some signal strength, but getting over 100 signal of the Sat. here in Florida.
Not sure where the diplexer got hooked in, but it sounds like you messed with a satellite input cable instead of the OTA. You use terms like "main feed" that don't really tell me anything. Also, which model PVR is it? Are you trying to send OTA to both receivers? What inputs does your TV have available? Do you have a VCR to go in the mix? That can be helpful - the various inputs & outputs make it a switching unit. :)

Are you trying to hook up both SAT boxes (811 and PVR) to one TV, or the 811 feed and the OUTPUT of the PVR to one TV (meaning the PVR is dedicagted to some other TV.

protoboard said:
Are you trying to hook up both SAT boxes (811 and PVR) to one TV, or the 811 feed and the OUTPUT of the PVR to one TV (meaning the PVR is dedicagted to some other TV.
I didn't understand that at all. Only outputs can go to a TV, and both the 811 and the PVR are "SAT" boxes, that use feeds.

Aside: which PVR we talking about? I reread the thread, and maybe it's a 501?
Or does "501" have something to do with your TV model?

Is he trying to run two SAT feeds diplexed to two boxes in the same room, or diplex the output of one box with the SAT feed from the DISH to a room with the 811

I think until he comes back and replies with more information, we're just spinning our wheels.

I'm psychic, but only if I can touch the satellite receiver. :D

I wanted to use both Dish boxes on one TV, running to two inputs on Sony 51" tv.

At this time have not hooked the 721 back up or the VCR. Before I had the 721, VCR, and DVD as seperate inputs to the TV.

Concerning the cable signal, I run both signals on the same line, throught the diplexer into the 721 connections, one for sat. input, the other for cable input located on back of receiver. Before when I turned off the 721 it would default back to the cable. Also, with this setup I could actually use the PIP on my TV by sending two signals to it. I ran the output from 721 to both input 1 and input 2 on the TV, therefore when I hit the TV/VCR input on remote could switch over on input 1. You have to use two remotes to work both signals, but at least I could use it. Concerning the cable feed, it was cheaper to get basic cable with my high speed internet connection and I got the free install.

Hope some of this helps, I had just gotten everything working before adding the HD receiver into the mix. Thoughts on it is the remote sometimes does not work to change channels, never had a problem with the 721 or 301 remotes doing this.

Like to have my old set up through the 721, but use a splitter for the HD box for a seperate input. This would allow me to have sat. and cable through one box and HD sat and OTA HD on the other box with all signals going to TV. It is doable, or so it seems. Only will lose some signal strength with the diplexer after the splitter on the 721 feed.

BTW,

I have not tried to hook up to my Audio receiver yet...:)

Need to upgrade to a 7.1 now, so need to spend some more money....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts