HD Installer wrong?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimyt

Dec 21, 2007
I had the DirecTV installer over yesterday to install the 5LNB dish and an HD receiver. I have the old round dish currently and is not even the 3 LNB--it was installed in June, 2005. The picture has always been fantastic.

The front of the house points just slightly SW, and the dish is on the back roof and it pointing right at some very tall, very close pine trees, and they don't seem to impede the signal at all.

The DirecTV installer said there was no way the 5LNB dish would work on my roof and didn't intall it. He said there was no way the signal would get through the trees, even thought the current signal gets through just fine. I arranged for a second opinion, and someone is supposed to come out next Friday to take a look.

My question is, is there any reason that the HD signal wouldn't get through if the current signal is getting through just fine? Was the first guy right, or was it just too close to lunch time and he didn't want to bother starting the job? I've heard other people say that they were told the same thing so they installed the dish themselves and have never had any problems. Is it worth insisting that the next installer install the 5LNB regardless of whether he thinks it would work or not? Will the 5LNB still get the SD channels if the old dish is getting them just fine? Thanks so much in advance for any advice or help!

I had the DirecTV installer over yesterday to install the 5LNB dish and an HD receiver. I have the old round dish currently and is not even the 3 LNB--it was installed in June, 2005. The picture has always been fantastic.

The front of the house points just slightly SW, and the dish is on the back roof and it pointing right at some very tall, very close pine trees, and they don't seem to impede the signal at all.

The DirecTV installer said there was no way the 5LNB dish would work on my roof and didn't intall it. He said there was no way the signal would get through the trees, even thought the current signal gets through just fine. I arranged for a second opinion, and someone is supposed to come out next Friday to take a look.

My question is, is there any reason that the HD signal wouldn't get through if the current signal is getting through just fine? Was the first guy right, or was it just too close to lunch time and he didn't want to bother starting the job? I've heard other people say that they were told the same thing so they installed the dish themselves and have never had any problems. Is it worth insisting that the next installer install the 5LNB regardless of whether he thinks it would work or not? Will the 5LNB still get the SD channels if the old dish is getting them just fine? Thanks so much in advance for any advice or help!

Your present dish is only looking at one satellite, the new one has to see 5, most of which are farther west and likely lower on the horizon. Do you have a clear view in that direction? If not, you may be sol.

There is a clear view to the west and pretty darn low to the horizon. Even if the 5LNB doesn't get the HD channels, would it still pull in the SD channels?

Is there is something the guy saw that made him think it would be a rough install? He likely just wanted to bail in favor of a faster job.

The only thing would be that he'd probably be better off moving the new dish to a different spot on the roof where it was higher than where the current one is, and run some new cable. It just struck me as very odd that he said it wouldn't work, and then said I should get a second opinion. Aren't they all trained the same way? What would another installer magically find that the first one didn't? The dispatcher called me after the guy left and was pushing me hard to arrange for a second opinion, which I don't mind doing. But how often does another installer contradict the first one?

I think you might be right that he wanted to bail. It was getting very close to lunch time.

Any installer worth a dime won't install the system unless he can get all 5 sats, regardless of what you insist on. The reason for this is simple. Even if you insist on a substandard install, and sign off on it on the work order, the installer is still on the hook for the next 60 days to come back and fix the system free of charge (and pay) if you change your mind.

Keep in mind that there are several things that could cause an installer not to install your system. LOS is one, lack of acceptable mounting points is another, lack of grounding connection is a third, etc...

You state that your current dish is pointing at some tall pine trees, even though they don't seem to impede signal at all. Installers generally want a safety margin in the window to account for things like tree growth and such. A 5 LNB dish takes a 30 degree arc out of the sky, with a 10 degree elevation window. If the trees were in that window, then it would be considered a NLOS even if they could get signal today.

The only thing would be that he'd probably be better off moving the new dish to a different spot on the roof where it was higher than where the current one is, and run some new cable. It just struck me as very odd that he said it wouldn't work, and then said I should get a second opinion. Aren't they all trained the same way? What would another installer magically find that the first one didn't? The dispatcher called me after the guy left and was pushing me hard to arrange for a second opinion, which I don't mind doing. But how often does another installer contradict the first one?

I think you might be right that he wanted to bail. It was getting very close to lunch time.

He may not have had the correct tool to do a proper site survey.

Maybe he was NEW and was unsure ????

I would look at the location and try to move it to somewhere other than in line with the trees.
I have seen lots of time that you get a great signal this time of year... what happens when spring comes and the tree starts to fill in, THATS when you will lose your signal and be pissed at the installer.
Personally, I would think that might have been his thinking, but you never know, you would have thought that he would tell you WHY it would not work.

Jimbo

Maybe he was NEW and was unsure ????

I would look at the location and try to move it to somewhere other than in line with the trees.
I have seen lots of time that you get a great signal this time of year... what happens when spring comes and the tree starts to fill in, THATS when you will lose your signal and be pissed at the installer.
Personally, I would think that might have been his thinking, but you never know, you would have thought that he would tell you WHY it would not work.

Jimbo

I agree he should have said why it wouldn't work, although a lot of HSP's are not allowing their installers to say which trees are blocking the line of sight. Why? Because customers were cutting down the trees and still not getting a LOS and then demanding that DTV pay for the lost trees.

NOOOO matter how much a customer whines and complains and says he will be happy not getting everything I WILL NOT install something that I dont get everything on cause:

1. You could change your mind
2. I am on the hook for 60 days to fix it for free
3. You decide that you want everything your paying for and then its my butt
4. Some people like to get it like htat then continue to complain and say the installer didnt tell me this and blah blah

Get a second opinion.

Installers are just like all the rest of us; some are competant and some are not. I had an installer insist that he could not get a signal over our trees. I explained that the signal would be far over the trees. He clearly didn't understand that the dish looks like it aims lower than it does. The second installer said it would easily clear and did a great job hooking it up and running the cables.

Well, in case anyone is still reading this thread, here's an update: another installer came out last week, and without even getting up on the roof told me that it was an absolutely perfect LOS for the HD reception. He had it installed in about an hour and a half. He couldn't believe that he was a second opinion.

Here's a little tidbit that he did pass on: he was a subcontractor for Directv, so he gets paid by the install job. He said the guys who drive around in the vans that have Directv written all over them are employed directly by Directv and are hourly employees with no incentive to do an install if they don't want to. The subs lose $300 if they don't find a way to make an install work, so they go out of their way to make it happen. He got a 99% strong signal with the new dish--the old one never got above 95%. So, moral of the story is...always get a second opinion and ask for a sub on an install!

Well, in case anyone is still reading this thread, here's an update: another installer came out last week, and without even getting up on the roof told me that it was an absolutely perfect LOS for the HD reception. He had it installed in about an hour and a half. He couldn't believe that he was a second opinion.

Here's a little tidbit that he did pass on: he was a subcontractor for Directv, so he gets paid by the install job. He said the guys who drive around in the vans that have Directv written all over them are employed directly by Directv and are hourly employees with no incentive to do an install if they don't want to. The subs lose $300 if they don't find a way to make an install work, so they go out of their way to make it happen. He got a 99% strong signal with the new dish--the old one never got above 95%. So, moral of the story is...always get a second opinion and ask for a sub on an install!

Great news! I'm glad it worked out for you.

I agree he should have said why it wouldn't work, although a lot of HSP's are not allowing their installers to say which trees are blocking the line of sight. Why? Because customers were cutting down the trees and still not getting a LOS and then demanding that DTV pay for the lost trees.

Hee hee. That happened to me way back in the primestar days. Get there for a 3rd opinion, and the tree guy is there. Had to go back to the office because I was not installing jack until the trees were gone PLUS the guy wanted a roof mount he forgot to mention on the precall. When I got back, he asked if it was good enough. Nope. Its the limbs that are up high that are the problem, however, he had created a fantastic LOS for a pole mount. He reconsulted with the tree people and decided the pole mount was fine. I was glad I did not return the pole and concrete to the shop when I snagged the roof mount. :D

Also, DirecTv employs NO installers. The guys in the DTV vans are employees of HSP's, which are "master" contractors. DirecTv even contracts out the QC of their systems.

we dont lose $300 dollars , but if we cant get it to work we dont get paid, not all the vans that say dtv on them are employees
some are hsp. however most of them are paid hourly not by the job, i think your sub does this for a living, happy customers = paycheck glad to here a happy ending tho ...
enjoy welcome to dtv

I disagree with part of this.
The installer that came out to my house receintly had a truck (van) that had the D* name on it, he did very good work, he was a sub, the installation is from a D* contracted company and they are also paid by the job, not hourly. I perfer an hourly employee as you get better work because he's not trying to rush thru the day getting on to the next job.

Jimbo

If for some reason they can't install it, do you get a full refund, or does D* keep some because of the contract?

If for some reason they can't install it, do you get a full refund, or does D* keep some because of the contract?

I don't believe there is any money exchanged until the install is done, unless of course you bought it ahead of time from someone other than D* (CC, BB , Costco ect.)

To answer your question, IF D* cannot get a reasonable LOS at your location, there is no charge to you.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts