Please reply by conversation.

cal87

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 3, 2005
Tracy, CA
I am a little perturbed right now.
HD LIL went active, but no Fox. I see San Diego and Columbus are also missing some. Did anyone know that this would be the case before this morning? I'm sure it's the fault of the local affiliates, but I'm sure DirecTV knew about this. It would have been nice if we were kept informed that this would be the case. Of all the times I have called asking for status, all I was told was some time in April, then a hard date of April 19. A simple "You're due in April, but we don't have all the networks available yet" would have sufficed. It would have made my AT9/OTA install/rerouting decision a lot easier.

I knew this would happen. It could be sooner, but I would be prepared for months if not longer without all the stations. Unless you qualify for the distant network for that channel, you are SOL as far as directv

It is most likely a contractual problem and not technical. Gannett owns our local NBC and they held out for $$$ with Echostar prior to them releasing HD LiL's. Most likely the same case with your Fox affiliate.

syphix said:
It is most likely a contractual problem and not technical. Gannett owns our local NBC and they held out for $$$ with Echostar prior to them releasing HD LiL's. Most likely the same case with your Fox affiliate.

I'm sure it is contractual. My point is that I just would have liked to have known. I knew I wasn't getting PBS or UPN, but I thought that I would have FOX.

Yeah - E* announced 3 stations for Denver on Wednesday and by Friday night the fourth station was active.

So this may be fixed quickly - or it may not.

ADent said:
Yeah - E* announced 3 stations for Denver on Wednesday and by Friday night the fourth station was active.

So this may be fixed quickly - or it may not.

I hope you're right.

Why no PBS HD fm. either E* or D*?

Don't know if this is the right place to ask - but can't PBS stations invoke the "must carry" provision to get the sat. providers to carry the local PBS HD stations?
It appears NO PBS stations (HD) are carried anywhere!

It is ironic that to get U.S. PBS HD stations via sat., you have to subscribe to one of the Canadian sat. systems. BEV carries both Seattle and Boston.
It looks like we won't be upgrading to HD service fm. either U.S. system. (Besides, in order to get our HD sports channel, we have to have cable, anyway.)

...mike

Has anybody called the local stations or D* yet to see what the problem is?

cal87 said:
I hope you're right.

I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth market, and WFAA (ABC) is still a hold out after more than 4 months. I periodically contact WFAA for an update, and the last word was that there was no pending resolution.

I called retention. They said that they have not been able to come to an agreement with Fox. Suggested I call the station and complain. I don't understand what the problem is. DirecTV already carries the station in SD. Cable has it both in SD and HD. What could possibly be the problem? More $$$?

Read all the other threads, the NAB and the local cable systems have fought tooth & nail to keep DBS from getting DNS, locals, HD retrans, and some continue to fight. They do not want to compete on a level playing field with DBS. Complain to the affiliate, the network, the NAB, and the FCC / local reps.

All of this just sucks. I'm getting fed up with it. If it weren't for wanting the news, I think I would chuck the whole deal and just do DVDs!!!!!

Well, I just got of the phone with the station manager for Fox in Sacramento. Apparently they had no idea HD LIL was going live on 4/19 until I called today. They are finishing up the agreement with DirecTV. Should be ready in a couple of weeks or so.
Now, I'll have to call DirecTV and inform them when the agreement is done so they will know to turn it on.:eek:

cal87 said:
Well, I just got of the phone with the station manager for Fox in Sacramento. Apparently they had no idea HD LIL was going live on 4/19 until I called today. They are finishing up the agreement with DirecTV. Should be ready in a couple of weeks or so.
Now, I'll have to call DirecTV and inform them when the agreement is done so they will know to turn it on.:eek:

lol sounds like the responce i got her in columbus with the cbs affilliate. they had no idea d was lighting it up on 4/19, the last date they were told was 5/1 and thus the reason why they wasent up yet like the outher 3 was. and that the "lawyers" were still working on the deal, i too dont get it when you allready have an sd feed why is it a big deal for an hd feed i can understand cable and the nab blocking it.but i would think they would be flexing ther mussel on any new providers (i.e. at&T or verizon) comming into the area, or if say d dident have the sd feed allready trying to block them from carring anything in that town. personaly i feel we need the goverment to get out the pockets of these companies and actualy start working for the public intrest, i know a pipe dream and that i should run for govt, but i wont because i cant stand all this bs i see going on.

Contract problems...

This is the flaw in the D* strategy to FIRST bring up HD-LIL service. Apparenty management just assumed that the local broadcasters would provide their channels for free and not charge a carriage fee. Oooops, guess they should have checked first.

As was said above, ABC Channel 8 (regular broadcast) in the Dallas Ft. Worth market is the holdout which prevents D* from rebroadcasting all the HD networks here, so we have the same problem.

Of course, in Dallas, ABC is the only area network with a digital station on VHF (transmits HD/digital on VHF channel 9), so it is the hardest to get and comes in the worst for most people. I would benefit from D*'s locals if they would give me an always reliable ABC HD, but since they can't, the locals HD broadcast by D* is absolutely worthless to us, and merely gives us something we've had for free since the beginning of HD, and that's HD locals.
For us, the HD locals from D* are just a bunch of magic beans.

If they'd have used the bandwidth to give us the other movie channels in HD, now that would have been something.

In the DFW market, D* is lagging behind other providers badly. Ultimately Verizon FIOS will rule them all. The first day FIOS comes here, we say adios to D* and their crappy, overpriced service.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
4 Networks? I have 7 HD networks OTA ,D* has a longggggggggg way to go.

Congratulations for living in one of the 21 (out of 210) DMAs that gets all the big four, PBS, and the soon to be nonexistant WB and UPN in HD.

vurbano said:
4 Networks? I have 7 HD networks OTA ,D* has a longggggggggg way to go.

Not really. I think they are doing the right thing and focusing on the Big 4. We are seeing numerous reports of D* having legal and negotiation issues with local stations. So going after 7 only compounds the troubles for a particular market. And when you analyze business, 7 is nice but the "meat" point is problably 4. By that I mean it helps to announce locals in HD and most everyone is happy and sign on.

Does 5 mean more will sign on. 6, 7, 8? What it says is 4 is enough to accomplish what you need to. Does that mean it pisses off Vurbanos. I think no matter what you do it will.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)