HD LiL without subbing to HD pak possible?

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
NE Georgia
I have two goals for my HD:

#1 is get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX. But I can't get them OTA due to distance and terrain.

#2 is to be able to record HD by using a HD DVR.

Since I can't get OTA, HD LiL or DNS is my only hope. This will require me to join into the MPEG 4 arena with E* because the HD LiL's will be MPEG 4 only. I personally don't feel that the many repeats of shows on the current HD pak is worth the $15 per month now, and especially not at $20 per month even if more channels are offered.

Will E* allow getting only my locals in HD without subbing the HD pak? I haven't seen anything about this anywhere, but I have my doubts. If they don't, then its just another way they are screwing us over since we can't get our locals in HD without using their MPEG 4 receiver...and the only way to get the MPEG 4 receiver is by subbing for the $20 HD pak.

Given the above scenerio, is it possible to sub the HD pak for a few months to get the receiver, then drop it, AND still keep the MPEG 4 receiver for the local HD? I bet E* will want it returned. :(

Thanks for any insight, educated guesses, or whimsical dialogue!
Anthony

You'd have to purchase your own MPEG4 receiver and you'd be charged a $6 fee for not subbing to the HD pack. And if you don't sub to at least an AT pack, that's another $6.

I personally wouldn't bother doing that. It makes more sense to lease a receiver and apply the money to programming versus wasting the money on a purchase and not buying any programming except locals and being slapped $12 in fees

BFG said:
You'd have to purchase your own MPEG4 receiver and you'd be charged a $6 fee for not subbing to the HD pack. And if you don't sub to at least an AT pack, that's another $6.
I personally wouldn't bother doing that. It makes more sense to lease a receiver and apply the money to programming versus wasting the money on a purchase and not buying any programming except locals and being slapped $12 in fees

They raised the Service Access Fee as well? Dang.

Well on the retailer chat they reffered to the receiver access fee as being seperated with SD receiver charged $5 and HD receiver $6. I thought the same "fee name" was what they charged if you didn't have AT, but it may be something seperate that's still $6

But still the $6 HD receiver no HD pack fee is new

BFG said:
Well on the retailer chat they reffered to the receiver access fee as being seperated with SD receiver charged $5 and HD receiver $6. I thought the same "fee name" was what they charged if you didn't have AT, but it may be something seperate that's still $6

The fee for not having AT60 or higher is called the Service Access Fee. I thought the $5.99 fee for an HD receiver was the mirror fee for additional HD receivers. I didn't remember anything in the retailer chat recap about a fee for not having the HD Pak. I might have missed it, though.

BFG said:

The fee for not having AT60 or higher is called the Service Access Fee. I thought the $5.99 fee for an HD receiver was the mirror fee for additional HD receivers. I didn't remember anything in the retailer chat recap about a fee for not having the HD Pak. Still, $11 or $12 extra in fees is outrageous and you'd have to add another $5.98 if it's an HD DVR!

Oops...I didn't state my situation completely.

I will be keeping at the minimum an AT60 or better. I will also be getting locals. I want HD locals (or HD DNS) which means I have to get an MPEG 4 receiver. I could care less for the HD pak.

I have actually realized that the lease is the best way to go for me, and I would now prefer not to buy the $649+ 622.

If I have at the minimum AT60 with locals (and local HD if it is even available without an HD pak), E* will charge a $6 fee per month for not subbing to the HD pak?

If you're gonna lease you'll be required to keep a DishHD pack, so the least you can pay w/ locals is $54.99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)