HD Lipsync issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

adavis720

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Ok, I am just putting out some feelers here.

I'm having some lipsync issues during High Def programming sporadically. For example the Today Show was off this morning, audio AHEAD of video. I switched over to an OTA channel and I don't see nearly as much delay, so it is not a broadcast problem.

I thought maybe it was a buffering problem with 622, but wouldn't I be seeing the same delay on the OTA channels too? I thought it might have also been me taxing the hard drive in the past (recording on both tuners, etc) but right now there is nothing recording at all, besides the buffers.

It is really not that big of a difference, but I used to work in post production and mixed sound to picture so I am little more aware then the normal person, but it is enough for me to distracted.

I have the Sync set to HD in the setup.

Configuration:

ViP622 -> Hitachi HD CRTRPTV via Component
ViP622 -> Pioneer 7.1 via Optical Digital

How do you have your sound hooked up? Straight to tv or to a receiver? analog or digital? what are your audio format settings?

Configuration:

ViP622 -> Hitachi HD CRTRPTV via Component
ViP622 -> Pioneer 7.1 via Optical Digital

How do you have your sound hooked up? Straight to tv or to a receiver? analog or digital? what are your audio format settings?

See above - Optical straight to AVR from 622.

622's output set to DD, AVR set to autodecode (which is always DD when I am using E*)

I noticed the same problem this morning on the Today show. I'm also using a 622 with HDMI to the TV (for video only) and optical to my 5.1 DD receiver.

It happens from time to time on nearly all of them. It's on there end 90% of the time. A couple of times though, when I turned my TV off and on, it went away. So, there's another variable.

See above - Optical straight to AVR from 622.

622's output set to DD, AVR set to autodecode (which is always DD when I am using E*)

I have a Pioneer as well hooked up with optical from 622. So is the 622 set like this?

dolbydigital.jpg

That's weird - did you run the auto-calibration tests on your Pioneer? These 622's all seem to have little personalities...

That's weird - did you run the auto-calibration tests on your Pioneer? These 622's all seem to have little personalities...

I used a tone generator and SPL meter to calibrate my system. I don't have lip sync issues on any other source, and when I do have them it is only on HD channels, so I don't think it is a receiver issue.

My biggest fear it is a faulty hard drive in the 622. I might try switching over to HDMI and see if that makes a difference.

I have a 222 and it seems there is always at least one channel on any given night with sync issues. The absolute worst offender is the local HD newscast of WSOC channel 9 ABC in Charlotte.

A couple months back, I called tech at E* when I noticed the audio sync. on one of the HD channels way out of whack. He said he reported it to whomever handles such things.

The next morning the sync. issue had disappeared.......

I just upgraded to HD on a 722, and I have a big lip sync issue on the KungFu channel. :D

Sorry, just injecting a bit of humor...

I thought perhaps I was the only one with this problem so I didn't post anything earlier, but I've had lip sync issues with my 622 and Hitachi CRT RPTV since day one (last year). Mostly on HD channels, sometimes on SD but not as much, and almost constantly on the HD LiL's that I receive from Sacramento. I will soon be upgrading to a 722 in the hopes that will make the issue go away, but would be nice to know what's causing it as I plan to continue to use the 622 as well. Any ideas???

I sent an email to dishquality@echostar.com .

I have also switched over to HDMI. I am curious if that will effect the sync, and I was also curious to see if it had any effect on the picture quality.

I highly doubt the HDMI input will have a bearing, it seems like a transmission issue, since I don't have a problem with OTA.

Big Lebowski on Showtime HD? lip sync was off. On the tv I noticed this on it has internal speakers.

The problem with lip sync issues is it coud be the broadcast station, Dish transmision, your dish receiver or your AVR. Pretty tough to pinpoint unless you have multiple people watching the same program at the same time. Welcome to the world of HD. :)