HD Lipsync issues

The problem with lip sync issues is it coud be the broadcast station, Dish transmision, your dish receiver or your AVR. Pretty tough to pinpoint unless you have multiple people watching the same program at the same time. Welcome to the world of HD. :)

Thanks, but I was welcomed to the world of HD about 3 years ago. ;)

It is not a AVR situation, and I have a hard time believing that every station that broadcasts in HD is having sync issues. I am almost positive this is a transmission/dish receiver issue.

Start believing...and reading.

Google: Broadcast engineers HD lip sync problems

Thanks, but I am still skeptical (and still a good googler:D).

Riddle me this then - why do I not see nearly as much delay with OTA?

I am well aware of the lip sync problems that are inherent right now with HD broadcasts, the delay I am seeing coming over the dish is must more noticeable. At times it is a HUGE distraction.

Thanks, but I am still skeptical (and still a good googler:D).

Riddle me this then - why do I not see nearly as much delay with OTA?

I am well aware of the lip sync problems that are inherent right now with HD broadcasts, the delay I am seeing coming over the dish is must more noticeable. At times it is a HUGE distraction.

Agreed! I have no issues with OTA, either - the audio/video has always been perfect. I just received my second ViP receiver today, a 722, for use in the main room of the house, particularly with the hope that the newer chip inside would resolve any issues that my 622 was having. It did not...I still have audio sync issues, and mainly on HD channels although I sometimes notice it on the SD ones as well. I actually set up both receivers side by side today so that anytime I notice an issue with the audio being out of sync, I can switch on the other unit to compare. So far I have not been able to find any sort of discernable pattern except with TNT HD earlier today (it was way off on both receivers), and a couple of HD LiL's while all other channels seemed to be eithe slightly out of sync or not noticeable; last night, the sync was perfect on anything I tuned to, which rarely ever happens.

So it seems for now, I've eliminated the receiver from the equation (unless ALL ViP receivers have major lip sync problems); I'm still grasping for answers as to what might be the cause, and if it really is on my end, what am I doing wrong?

The setup: Hitachi CRT RPTV (HD) via component cables & RCA stereo cables; also have the optical cable hooked up to the stereo for Dolby (and yes, the lip sync issue is present there, too).

Just for fun, I think I will try to run analog out to my receiver and see if I get an delay. If I do, I am going to run the analog out through the TV and see if there is any delay there. I am not done troubleshooting this yet. :eureka

Just for fun, I think I will try to run analog out to my receiver and see if I get an delay. If I do, I am going to run the analog out through the TV and see if there is any delay there. I am not done troubleshooting this yet. :eureka

Analog out shows delay as well. I am certain this is a transmission issue.

It would be nice to see a adjustment in the menu to adjust lip sync forward or backwards in milliseconds. Just like a right/left adjustment for the HD picture.

I am getting sync issues on my 722 as well, it was really bad on showtime in general last night, shoHD was really bad, it wasn't as bad but still there on 320 while i was watching big brother after dark.

I also noticed the audio being out of sync on Showtime on Sunday, but it was off & on through the movie I recorded. I checked other channels as well and still can't pinpoint a definite pattern; as another poster recently mentioned, it's on different channels at varying times of the day and night.

Sure glad to know I'm not the only one with lip sync issues and Dish receivers, including a 722. I don't think the "dish quality" email address would be the appropriate place to send a detailed description of the problem as it seems a bit more technical than just one or two channels. Is there a preferred email address myself & others could use to contact someone in an HD tech division?

Speaking of the Dish Quality email, here is the response I got from the email I sent a week ago:

Dear Mr. Davis,

Thank you for expressing your concerns and interest in DISH Network.
Customer input is an important tool in our efforts to continuously
improve the quality of the DISH Network service.

Indeed there is an issue with the audio and video timing on National
Geographic. Our engineering teams have been troubleshooting the problem
for a few weeks now and calling the provider for assistance. We hope to
have the problem resolved as quickly as possible.

We are also looking into a possible timing problem on other HD channels.
Unfortunately, sometimes these things take a while and then other times
it is a matter of a few minutes. HD technology is relatively new and we,
along with our providers, are constantly trying to improve quality for
our viewers.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their
audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being
a valued customer.

Regards,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

Well, that totally answered my question! :mad:

I get it a lot on my local NBC over the satellite, but not OTA. I also had it bad yesterday on the new HistoryHD, never cleared up, and many others complained about it. It happens on MonstersHD sporadically.

I noticed the new History HD channel was just awful yesterday. My daughter came in to the room and asked me if it was dubbed, she assumed the show was originally a different language because the timing was so far off.

For me, it's been constant on my HD LiL's out of Sacramento, but the OTA has always been perfect. But I've seen the sync issue on channels that are not all that new like Starz HD and Showtime, so if there were issues with those channels you'd think it would have been fixed by now. Makes it kind of frustrating to archive a move or program when the audio may be out of sync.

Speaking of the Dish Quality email, here is the response I got from the email I sent a week ago:

We are also looking into a possible timing problem on other HD channels.
Unfortunately, sometimes these things take a while and then other times
it is a matter of a few minutes. HD technology is relatively new and we,
along with our providers, are constantly trying to improve quality for
our viewers.

At DISH Network we appreciate the time customers take to email their
audio/video quality concerns. Thank you for your patience and for being
a valued customer.

Regards,
EchoStar Satellite LLC
Quality Assurance Department
dishquality@echostar.com

Well, that totally answered my question! :mad:

Mine, too, but at least they acknowledged this "possible timing problem." I may email them this week & see if I get a duplicate reply.

So it seems like quite a few people are having sync issues that don't exist OTA.

Let's try to get a list of all the people together and maybe we can get the list to Dish somehow. If we emailed CEO with a list of 50 people all having lip sync issues then maybe we can get something done about this.

I experience lip-sync issues on the HD locals mainly, although I have seen it on SD and HD channels (primarily HD channels) from time-to-time.

If it gets really bad and doesn't fix itself by changing channels and/or turning my 622 off/on again...then I do a reset on it and that usually (98% of the time) resolves the problem.

So it seems like quite a few people are having sync issues that don't exist OTA.

Let's try to get a list of all the people together and maybe we can get the list to Dish somehow. If we emailed CEO with a list of 50 people all having lip sync issues then maybe we can get something done about this.

I'm all for that, although as a "junior member" with only a few posts here, it might be better if one of you more experienced forum members started an official poll which would count the numbers of Dish customers experiencing this very problem. Not sure how the moderators here work this sort of thing but I imagine someone (Scott?) could forward that poll and this thread to one of their contacts at Dish.

I was also advised to reset the 622 when the lip sync got really bad; for me, it only slightly improves the sync, but neither a reset or reboot has resolved the problem. It was actually a bit worse the other day on my 722 than the 622, and it's a newer unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)