HD-Lite and MPEG4

*mad_professor*

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 9, 2004
Covina, CA
Forgive my ignorance on this but here it goes.

Could E* and D* be down converting HD because of the lack of bandwidth but once MPEG4 is running full force, deliver full resolution HD?

Maybe this HD-Lite is only a temporary issue while they each work on their MPEG4 roll outs.

I think that if it goes on for long that dish will think that they've got away with it and we will never see voom at full resolution. If we don't see voom at 1920x1080 in the next few weeks we will never see it. Thats just my opinion though.

Yes, but they also need to be competitive. Maybe down rez the signal to be able to offer more and win customers while they work on the MPEG4 roll out.

When satellite first came out, there was not digital cable. Sat was definitely the way to go. Cable companies spend considerable amounts of money upgrading to be able to offer a good product. The technology that E* and D* is old and now it's their turn to catch up and "eat crow" to cable companies.

I realize that HD-Lite sucks but do you want more channels or better picture? They are simply trying to make everyone happy while they plan and deploy the next generation delivery methods, MPEG4.

I have D* and so yes, I have HD-lite. I also realize the limitations of their current equipment and am willing to see what the future holds while they roll out MPEG4. Should D* not deliver full rez HD once they are up on MPEG4, I would then look for other solutions.

I read complaints about not enough HD content but then I see just as many from the same people about HD-Lite. You can't have it both ways. They simply don't have the infrastructure to deliver both right now.

quick question, is this because dish network dosent have room for Hd channels??!?! is that why the downrez? or do they have plenty of room? I am kinda concerned that Dish network will strike back and say no espn2hd or any other channel if you want full blown VOom, also we will not be able to provide all 21 channels, just 16...ease my fears anyone

goaliebob99 said:
You know whats funny.... D*'s MPG4 Locals are in hd lite too.. Just a point :)

I've been trying to find that out, because I'm debating on switching. Has this been analyzed and proven? The posts from users in Atlanta have been saying that the D* broadcast is very close to OTA broadcast except that colors are not as bright.

goaliebob99 said:
You know whats funny.... D*'s MPG4 Locals are in hd lite too.. Just a point :)

And just how did you analyze the MPEG-4 transport stream to determine this?

GeorgeLV said:
And just how did you analyze the MPEG-4 transport stream to determine this?

Well, just knowing what D* does to national HD, I would expect the HD LIL's to be HD-lite without having to analyze them.

SatinKzo said:
Well, just knowing what D* does to national HD, I would expect the HD LIL's to be HD-lite without having to analyze them.

How many Ku transponders does DirectTV have that are receivable on the Phase III dish? 46 (32-101; 3-110; 11-119)

How many Ku transponders does Echostar have that are receivable on the Dish 500? 50 (29-110; 21-119) Plus at least another 14 on 129 (what's lit up according to LyngSat; anybody know if Telsat Canada has assigned all 32 transponders there to E*? ) and all 32 (with 2 used by SkyAngel) on 61.5.

DirecTV does HD-lite on MPEG-2 because that's the only way to fit all the channels they offer in the space that's available to them. Howver the MPEG-4 stuff is using the new Ka band satellites which will eventually offer 64? (1000mhz worth) transponders per slot. Why would they overcompress their new HD when they're in a sea of bandwidth?

I would simply answer "Because they can get away with it and squeeze even more in" and play the HD numbers game down the road.

Now honestly, I have not seen any numbers and cannot prove you or myself right on the issue, but I would expect D* not to offer HD LIL's in any better resolution then what they offer the national HD. They already get away with it on national HD, why open the can of worms on offering LIL's in better resolution until they have to?

If someone can provide some numbers, that would be great. Would I like them to provide a better quality picture? HELL YES! I want E* to have competition. I guess mostly I refuse to give either E* or D* benefit of the doubt, thankfully, we have many people on this site than can help us all monitor things with cold hard numbers!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts