HD Local Channels and spotbeaming.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Spotbeams and HD

Simple answer: yes

If I've moved to a different location and get regular def locals, will I also be able to get HD locals? I view in NYC, but moved to DC. Also, how would I upgrade my equipment? Would there be any issues if I installed myself and called to activate?

The NYC spot beam doesn't reach to DC. But the DC spot beam would have you covered for locals in HD. The spot beam for NYC is probably only about 75-100 miles in diameter, so you would need to be in north/central Jersey to receive. And the SD spot is also probably too small to reach you in DC, though its diameter/footprint is larger than the HD spot.

Sorry for the confusion - I've 'moved' to DC, but am physically in NYC. I've been able to receive the DC spotbeam here for regular def TV (although it's been on vacation for most of this year - I'm about to fire it up again). I'm wondering if it's feasible to get the DC locals in HD here.

Again, the new HD spot beams are much tighter than the SD spots. You pretty much need to be within 75-100 miles of the city in question to be able to receive the HD spots. And I got your "move" meaning, just had the cities in reverse :)

The HD spots can vary in size, just like their SD counterparts.
I'm well over 175+ miles away from the Chicago spots & they both come in just fine. ;)

Obviously bigger markets will have bigger range. Wasn't sure of the distance, but was making the point that I don't think DC and NYC spots overlap.

Thanks atp1313. I do get the SD spot beam fine. DC is about 200+ miles from NY. Are there up to date maps of the HD spots? Can I use my D10 to check certain transponders or such before upgrading equipment? Or do I just have to get the new dish and receiver and check it out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)