HD Local Channels on D*tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tandreu

Original poster
Oct 23, 2004
When could we expect D*tv to offer the locals in HD. I was told that the area I live in (Torrance, CA) gets bad reception regardless of what kind of antenna I have. I have some radio towers that they say causes bad interference. I could go HD with cable but I would perfer to stay with Direct.

DirecTV will start offering locals in HD next year but I don't think they've mentioned which markets they are doing first.

Chris

I think the consensus is June / July 2005. They have not announced which markets but speculation suggests they will start with the top 30 markets, even with a spot beam this is a substantial amount of real estate.

tandreu, welcome to Satelliteguys!!

If you live in an area where reception is spotty at best your best bet would be to call Directv and have them submit waivers on your behalf to your local stations. If the local stations in your market approve them you can get the distant networks in HD. The waiver process can take up to 45 days though.

Which locals market are you in?

I'm in the Los Angeles, market. I found a a web site. I think it was Titan.com that said I should have a strong signal. But, like I said I have some radio towers that seem to give me a bad reception on my lower channels. I'm about 28 miles from the towers. It's not the distance. So I guess it's either those towers or my cheapy antenna. But isn't an antenna just an antenna. No real difference between one or another?

Don't know. Came with the house when I bought it. It appears to be in good shape. I've spoken with my neighbor whose lived next door for 20 years. he said he thought it was probably 5 years old. Channels 2, 4 and 5 are real bad.

The cable to the antenna may be in bad shape or you need a larger antenna to get the digital signals. The other thing to know is that HD channels aren't broadcast on the same frequency as the analog station. Go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your address to see where and what stations are nearby. And what frequencies they are using.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)