HD local channels without extra ant?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robo456

Original poster
May 16, 2005
Just a quickie for those with HD already... I'm going to be getting my sat upgrade hopefully this weekend, and I'm trying to pre-plan my attack.

I know this is going to sound like a really dumb noob question, but what exactly is the OTA antenna for? So, when I'm watching channel 5 (FOX-NY) on my Samsung HD receiver and it says "Shown in HD where available" when the show is starting, that show really isn't going to be shown in HD thru the satellite feed? :confused:

Thanks for any clarification!

--rob

the OTA ant is for local HD content.

to use your example...
Say you want to watch 24 in HD, you'd have to switch to the antenna input, most likely you will see some thing like 5-1 right below the D* channel 5 in your channel guide. You'd just select that and you are up on HD

If you have locals from D* then this station will should show up in your channel/program guide along with the programming that it shows and you can select the station you wish to tune to.

Currently D* does not re-broadcast local HD content. That will be changing soon for those in the top 12 markets.

Hope I helped you out.

Oh no! another wire to run! eheh....

Yes... thank you, rig! Answered my question perfectly...

--rob

robo456 said:
Just a quickie for those with HD already... I'm going to be getting my sat upgrade hopefully this weekend, and I'm trying to pre-plan my attack.

I know this is going to sound like a really dumb noob question, but what exactly is the OTA antenna for? So, when I'm watching channel 5 (FOX-NY) on my Samsung HD receiver and it says "Shown in HD where available" when the show is starting, that show really isn't going to be shown in HD thru the satellite feed? :confused:

Thanks for any clarification!

--rob

For most of us, the OTA is the only way to get a local channel in HD. Now, I might be wrong about this but if you are getting the New York feed of Fox, you should have HD through the sat. signal via the east coast Fox feed AND the OTA. If you go to channel 5-1, you will be watching the OTA signal, or if you go to ch. 88 (Fox-E) you will see the signal over the sat. Hopefully someone who knows the NY DMA can tell you for sure, but you may be one of the "chosen few." Either way, the OTA is great when there is a heavy storm coming and you switch to it from the sat and still have your feed!

Good luck! :)

I'd be amazed if I was one of the "chosen few"... always seems like I'm last on the list... haven't received my Tivo 6.2 upgrade, last on the poll for DSL so I can't get "full speed", etc etc...

Anyway, i'll definately have to check that out when the new LNB comes this weekend... This is a great community, thanks for quick replies!

--rob

Hi, I am new to HD and Direct TV.

I just signed up for Direct tv HD. I am unable to get any channels via an antenna (I have a built in HD receiver). Are you saying Direct TV HD does not broadcast local HD channels via satellite? I am in the LA Area, but not close enough for antenna reception. We qualify for local package, but does include HD?

pseudopod56 said:
Are you saying Direct TV HD does not broadcast local HD channels via satellite?
Not yet. The only HD networks carried are the NY and LA markets.
They just launched a new satellite, Spaceway 1, which will carry HD local channels in MPEG4.

I am in the LA Area, but not close enough for antenna reception. We qualify for local package, but does include HD?

You should be able to get the existing HD west coast feed. You'll have to ask DirecTV. You may have issues if some local channels in your market are not network owned.

That could probably work, but I'd have to get creative with my wiring.

Currently I have the RF out of one of my Tivos going into the antenna/offair jack of my Terk BMS-58 switch and diplexers on the outputs so I can have sat TV and be able to watch Tivo on any of the outputs on channel 3...

I guess it might be time to get one of the channelmaster boxes? hmm...

--rob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Question about new satellite

Anyone know where I can find what new channels will DTV be adding?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts