HD locals for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA timeframe??

Hmm. What satellites/transponders should I be testing? I would like to test what signal I am getting. I know i've done it before, and my numbers were always too low, but I forget the satellite and transponder numbers for those channels, and would like to test them again to see what I get now, and possibly at different times of the day.

Nope, all the Scranton HD locals are on that one.

This afternoon I had a reading of 13-14, even though it was snowing. That's even higher than when it wasn't snowing. Tonight I have a reading of 6-9, which isn't usable but is still higher than the other night when it dropped out.

Given Dish's history with satellites, I have to wonder if the satellite isn't holding its position properly. If we're really lucky maybe they're trying to realign the beam, but I don't know if they could do that without screwing people in other markets. If I remember rightly, the map of the way the satellite was supposed to have been set up didn't even have the beam they're now using for New York City covering the city at all!

OK. This weekend, I got the local HD's every time I turned to them. I never spent more than about a half hour on each channel (in the past they would fail after an hour) so I haven't tested the duration.

Jim S: What do you mean by "realign the beam"?

I don't know if the spot beams on that satellite are individually steerable. If not, they would have to rotate the entire satellite, which would probably move other spot beams to places that would leave parts of other markets without service.

I don't know if the spot beams on that satellite are individually steerable. If not, they would have to rotate the entire satellite, which would probably move other spot beams to places that would leave parts of other markets without service.

Echo12 does not have steerable spotbeam technology. As noted before they rotated the satellite to capture they markets they needed, and it looks like your market is the trade off one.

I have been picking up the local HDs reliably for the past few days. Last night I watched a local HD channel for almost 2 hours. I switched back and forth between the local stations and ESPN.

Isn't there a must carry law where if they broadcast a local market, they have to carry all the channels of that market? Is Dish planning on picking up WNEP2 / Retro TV, and is that channel broadcast in HD too?

The must carry law hasn't gone into effect yet, and I don't know whether it includes subchannels.

WNEP2 isn't in HD.

I still get: (and am sick of seeing)

100_8960.jpg

I am still limited on how long I can see the local HD's then I get the blue screen sdschramm posted. Is there a way of changing "spot beams"? What is this "moving" people are talking about? I am very new satellite, so I am not familiar with all of the terms.

I am still limited on how long I can see the local HD's then I get the blue screen sdschramm posted. Is there a way of changing "spot beams"? What is this "moving" people are talking about? I am very new satellite, so I am not familiar with all of the terms.

Go to your point dish signal screen. Go to 61.5. Change to Transponder 1. Slowly go up...some beams take a while to lock in. Make a note of the ones that you can lock that change to Spotbeam.

"Moving" is where you change your service address to get other market locals.

I was at a party at my cousin's house in Muncy yesterday, and I asked her if she was getting the local HD since the signal strength started creeping up here. She said that a while ago, she called the local dealer (H.C.) and complained about the lack of locals and they came out and put up a bigger dish. She says that she gets the locals fine now, except in bad weather. I didn't ask her what they charged for it, and I don't know what kind of dish they put up. I tried to look at it as I was leaving, but it was dark and I only saw it from a distance. It doesn't look like any of Dish's bigger dishes, i.e. wider than they are tall. It looks pretty much like a standard Ku offset dish, nearly circular but slightly taller than wide. I see on Sadoun's website that Winegard makes a 24" dish with a D-tube for mounting Dish LNBs, but I thought this looked bigger than 24". If you take the plastic case off of a Dish LNB, the feedhorn fits in a standard Ku mount, but I can't imagine an official installer taking the LNB apart, even though it's solid metal.

Go to your point dish signal screen. Go to 61.5. Change to Transponder 1. Slowly go up...some beams take a while to lock in. Make a note of the ones that you can lock that change to Spotbeam.

Here are my numbers in as of Dec 26th, 2009 at about 11pm in 17701, (Williamsport, PA):

61.5:
T-1--5
T-2--36
T-3--49
T-4--0
S-5--46
T-6--0
T-7--0,55,1
T-8--33
S-9--55
T-10--30
S-11--58
T-12--0
S-13--57
T-14--45
T-15--0
T-16--23
T-17--0
T-18--33
T-19--30
T-20--25
T-21--47
T-22--22
T-23--36
T-24--34
T-25--39
T-26--0
T-27--37
T-28--22
T-29--46
T-30--23
T-31--35
T-32--26

A few remarks:

I went back twice to rechcek all of the ones that came up low or had a zero. I gave apx 45 seconds for each. I put transponder 7 in bold as that is where i'm told our locals should be coming from. That transponder was acting very weird. The first time I tested it, I had 0. After testing all of the other ones, I went back and retested it. This time I got a 55? - I then quickly punched in ch 16 to see if it was working.....nope. I went back to the signal meter and rested transponder 7 again and only got a signal of 1.

Heres something else to note:
When you tune to one of the local HD channels, before it flashes the blue "dont' call us" screen, if you look closely you can see the "searching" screen and it lists the satellite and transponder numbers. Here is what I got before it would be covered with the blue dish screen:

------------------
ch 16
61.5: 19
61.5: 21
61.5: 7

Ch 22, 28, 56:
119: 1
61.5: 21
61.5: 7
------------------

So looking back at my signals, it looks like 19, 21, and 7 are the transponders we need. 19 and 21 have good signal, but 7 is the problem.

Hopefully someone will find this data useful and can analyze it and reply back with more info.

Thanks

-Scott

So looking back at my signals, it looks like 19, 21, and 7 are the transponders we need. 19 and 21 have good signal, but 7 is the problem.

Hopefully someone will find this data useful and can analyze it and reply back with more info.

Thanks

-Scott
Well I hate to give you bad News ,But all the Scranton Wilkes -barre HD locals, 16,22,28,56 Are on the 61.5 on (Spotbeam) Transponder 7
All the SD locals, 16,22,28,38,44,53,56 are on the 119 (Spotbeam) Transponder 1
Channel 64 is on the 119 Transponder 14.
If you or anyone in the Scranton DMA doesn't get a signal on the 61.5 Transponder 7 , you will not get 16,22,28,56 in HD.

Here are my numbers in as of Dec 26th, 2009 at about 11pm in 17701, (Williamsport, PA):

61.5:
T-1--5
T-2--36
T-3--49
T-4--0
S-5--46
T-6--0
T-7--0,55,1
T-8--33
S-9--55
T-10--30
S-11--58
T-12--0
S-13--57
T-14--45
T-15--0
T-16--23
T-17--0
T-18--33
T-19--30
T-20--25
T-21--47
T-22--22
T-23--36
T-24--34
T-25--39
T-26--0
T-27--37
T-28--22
T-29--46
T-30--23
T-31--35
T-32--26
Looking at these numbers, You should be able to Get Philadelphia HD locals. Since Transponder 11 is reading a decent signal.
Also Washinton DC on Transponder 5 maybe possible
Baltimore ,MD on Transponder 9
Buffalo,NY on Transponder 13
These all could be options for a "move"
Just remember once you "move"
ALL Scranton locals will no longer be an option , unless you "move" back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)