HD locals for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA timeframe??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hopton

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Lycoming County, PA
I receive my local channels on Dish Network from the "Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA Locals Package". Even though the local channels have been transmitting in HD for a long time now, it's still not available on Dish Network as HD yet. the combination of distance and terrain prevents me from receiving the locals in HD OTA.

I am new to this forum and was wondering if there any way I can track the progress of when Wilkes-Barre will be coming online with HD locals. Anyone know of how to keep up on this or heard any timelines? Dish Network customer service just keeps repeating "we guarantee that you will get it sometime in the future". Whoop-de-do! !sadroll

Thanks!

I live in this market and have "moved" to the Greentown PA area, the area code is 18426. It will enable you to get the big 4 NY locals in HD. If you need any help moving drop me a private message.

I live in this market and have "moved" to the Greentown PA area, the area code is 18426. It will enable you to get the big 4 NY locals in HD. If you need any help moving drop me a private message.

When you "moved' to Greentown do you still get WB/Scranton SD locals or just NYC locals (HD and SD)?

I think Direct only has 1 channel up in HD. I believe it is channel 16. With no plans yet for the others.
Also, you would be surprised what you can pick up with the correct antenna. I may also be able to help you with that I have had very good luck and I am down in the valley with mountains all around me.

Why is it that cable companies in lets say Stroudsburg, PA are permitted to provide multiple local channels (NY, Philly and WB/Scranton) while satellite providers are only permitted to provide one set of locals?

Don't know. Pike Co is listed as NY dma yet the cable here has NY, WB/Scranton and the abc from Phily. Lucky to get WB/Scranton via OTA with full sd and HD locals from NY.

Hey! Nice to see some locals around here! I'm in Williamsport PA, 17701 and I get Wilkes-Barre/Scranton locals. SD only sucks...and just like the OP, I am way too far away to pick them up via OTA. I'd "move" like others do, but I don't want to loose my "local" locals. (i'd love to get ABC, NBC, etc. in HD, but don't want to miss my local news stations like WNEP, etc.)

-Scott

Hey! Nice to see some locals around here! I'm in Williamsport PA, 17701 and I get Wilkes-Barre/Scranton locals. SD only sucks...and just like the OP, I am way too far away to pick them up via OTA. I'd "move" like others do, but I don't want to loose my "local" locals. (i'd love to get ABC, NBC, etc. in HD, but don't want to miss my local news stations like WNEP, etc.)

-Scott

Unfortunately, Dish will only give you one set of locals.

-Scott

I've picked up the digitals in downtown Williamsport from Wilkes-Barre using my portable equipment.

What's really frustrating is that if Dish put up the Wilkes Barre locals, they could cover half the state. It covers Scranton all the past Williamsport. You would think they would know this. Family member can't get the OTA's either. When installed the guy was on the roof for two hours trying to get anything, before even the SD locals were up and received waivers and had NY and LA locals until that fiasco.

I think Direct only has 1 channel up in HD. I believe it is channel 16. With no plans yet for the others.
Also, you would be surprised what you can pick up with the correct antenna. I may also be able to help you with that I have had very good luck and I am down in the valley with mountains all around me.
You get 16 and 56 .ABC and Fox With Directv,and when the D11 is in operation,They are supposed to get 22,Cbs and 28 NBC ,by September 2008

When you "moved' to Greentown do you still get WB/Scranton SD locals or just NYC locals (HD and SD)?
No. If you live in Pike county,not just Greentown.Some exceptions in Pike county allow Scranton locals ,but Very few. You get New York only.So to avoid this HD problem I had ,I gave D* Greentown Address for my ABC,NBC,CBS,and FOX ,so I could get all these in HD,and gave E* my Real address "Newfoundland" so I could still get Scranton Wilkes-Barre locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts