HD Locals Ft Myers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tjwagner

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
About 2 months ago, DTV told me HD locals would be up in my area, Ft Myers Florida on December 1st. They even installed the new slimline 5LNB dish. I have the H20 receiver. The installer said look for it to be live in the first week or 2 of December. I sent a nice email to DTV asking if they knew the date it would go live and received the following back. Anyone know what gives? I even remember reading an official release from DTV about Ft Myers in Dec...

...Thanks for writing. I understand how important it is for you to receive your local channels in High Definition. I'm sorry for any misinformation that was forwarded to you. We plan to offer local channels in High Definition in the Fort Myers-Naples FL area around late 2007.

Once local HD programming launches in your city, you will be eligible for an MPEG-4-capable receiver replacement. If you want to replace your HD DVR, you may need to wait a bit longer. Our new MPEG-4-capable DIRECTV HD DVR is expected to be available sometime later this year.

Thanks again for writing. More details will be available when we launch the local HD service in your area, so watch your local TV, radio or mailbox for upcoming announcements or visit directv.com/HD for the latest news. We look forward to bringing you your local channels in High Definition very soon.

Sincerely,

Toni
Employee ID 100124015
DIRECTV Customer Service

Did DirecTV actually tell you 12/1/06 or was it an installer? Installers are contractors, NOT DirecTV employees and have no real inside info on programming/channels addition.

I have not seen that date regarding Ft Myers in the past. You can look in the 2 sticky thread regarding the addition of these LIL HD channels and you can see the running lists. of cities.

Ft. Myers was on a list of markets that DirecTV announced as serving this year, in 2006. However, on the rollout press releases of the last four markets, DirecTV mentioned they'd add eight more markets by year's end. That would put the total this year at 57, but the press release with Ft. Myers had the total at 67. There are ten markets on the current list that will not make it this year.

I was specifically referring to just the EXACT date of 12/1. That seemed very odd; I also can't see a near 9 - 12 month delay either. .

I was told by DTV on the phone December 1st. Thats why they scheduled the slimline install for me. The installer just said realistically the early half of Dec.

Below is what initiated my call to DTV, with the rep verifying the info and setting up the install upgrade:

DIRECTV to Deliver Local HD Programming in 67 Markets by Year End
Twenty Five More Local HD Markets Named; Approximately 74 Percent of U.S. Television Homes will have Access to Local HD Channels from DIRECTV
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Oct 10, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Already leading the satellite TV industry in the delivery of local HD programming, DIRECTV will offer local HD broadcast networks in 67 markets, representing approximately 74 percent of U.S. TV households, by year end when it rolls out 25 more local HD markets in the fourth quarter.

Local news, sports and popular primetime programming from ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC will be available in HD to customers who subscribe to any TOTAL CHOICE(R) programming package that offers local channels. There is no additional charge for local HD programming.

The 25 local markets to receive HD programming from DIRECTV include:

-- Albuquerque, N.M. -- Mobile, Ala.
-- Buffalo, N.Y. -- New Orleans
-- Des Moines, Iowa -- Norfolk, Va.
-- Flint, Mich. -- Oklahoma City, Okla.
-- Ft. Meyers, Fla. -- Portland, Me.
-- Grand Rapids, Mich. -- Providence, R.I.
-- Green Bay, Wisc. -- Reno, Nev.
-- Greensboro, N.C. -- Santa Barbara, Calif.
-- Greenville, S.C. -- Spokane, Wa.
-- Harrisburg, Pa. -- Springfield, Mo.
-- Jacksonville, Fla. -- Toledo, Ohio
-- Little Rock, Ark. -- Tulsa, Okla.
-- Madison, Wisc.

"With 67 markets receiving local HD channels from DIRECTV by year end, we've set the stage for our historic capacity expansion in 2007," said Dan Fawcett, executive vice president, Programming Acquisition, DIRECTV, Inc. "This will enable us to leapfrog the multichannel video industry in terms of the sheer volume of HD programming available to our customers. With more than 44 million homes projected to have HD TV sets next year, we expect to be the video provider of choice for those consumers, offering the best lineup of HD programming, including local broadcast networks, sports, special events, and national networks, as well as original and exclusive programming."

With the launch of two new satellites - DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 - in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 142 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as 42 HD local channel markets representing approximately 62 percent of U.S. TV households.

Customers can receive local HD channels by obtaining DIRECTV's H20 HD receiver or its new HR20 DIRECTV Plus HD DVR, which has the ability to record up to 50 hours of programming in the new MPEG4 transmission standard. DIRECTV is offering new customers who purchase a DIRECTV HD or HD DVR receiver a $100 mail-in rebate. (Limit one rebate per customer.) Existing customers are eligible for a $99 upgrade to the new H20 receiver and dish, plus $99 for each additional HD receiver.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to more than 15.5 million customers through exclusive content, industry-leading customer service (which has surpassed cable for six years running) and superior technologies. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy over 250 channels of 100% digital picture and sound; exclusive programming and the most comprehensive collection of sports programming available anywhere including NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM), and MLB EXTRA INNINGS(TM). DIRECTV (NYSE:DTV) also leads the digital television technology revolution with exclusives such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET SuperFan(TM), US Open Interactive and YES Network Interactive and will soon have the capacity to offer over 150 channels in HD. DIRECTV is approximately 39 percent owned by News Corporation. For the most up-to-date information on the Company, please visit directv.com.

SOURCE: DIRECTV

DIRECTV, Inc.
Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683
rgmercer@directv.com

Correct; that is exactly what I am referring to & asking about; any CSR or installer that says an exact date is an instant red-flag of BS as DirecTV doesn't deal in advanced exact dates in case of issues; be it in contracts with the affiliates or satellite transponder failures that lead to tech or space issues. I hope (as with everything in life) you remembered to get your CSR's name and/or ID number so you can file some complaint as you see fit if they do not come online by 1/1/07. End of 2006 was always the target, and if I read Greg Bimson's post correct, it alludes to Ft Myers being removed off of a revised list; I would guess if it has been removed, that it might be because of contract issues, but I can't see it causing a year long delay if it is for any other reasons.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts