HD Locals Help

Mr Zero

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
I just got a HD TV and a Dish HD Receiver. When I view my local channels on it the numbers come up as 2-00, 4-00, etc. These locals are not HD. Is there a way to view them without switching to an antenna?

Also, I seem to remember being able to watch more than one version of local channels (like 5.1 and 5.2, etc). How do I do that?

You should either do a scan of digital channels, or you may be able to do it manually. Those numbers you see are analog, I believe. I dont have any analog stored, but someone else may be able to help you more. I havent had an 811 in a while so I dont remember how to get to the screen you need to scan. If its a 921, menu 6 then 8, I think.

Mr Zero said:
I just got a HD TV and a Dish HD Receiver. When I view my local channels on it the numbers come up as 2-00, 4-00, etc. These locals are not HD. Is there a way to view them without switching to an antenna?
Also, I seem to remember being able to watch more than one version of local channels (like 5.1 and 5.2, etc). How do I do that?

You will have to use a antenna to get your locals in HD OTA. Dish is not doing HD locals at this time. Hopefully Dish will start with HD locals in a couple of weeks.

I've had Dish network for less then a week. I am enjoying it very much, there is a minor annoyance, and I have a question...

I have a 811 reciever hooked to my HDTV, and am getting locals both from Dish, and also OTA(via antenna).

Anyways, for the sub-channels, the guide just says "local digital" as the description. This is especially annoying with channel 7(PBS) since they have the main channel, and then four or five subchannels, and only the main channel actually gets a description, even though all 4-5 sub-channels are showing different things.

Is their anyway to get it to display the proper description for the sub-channels?

RobertsD said:
Anyways, for the sub-channels, the guide just says "local digital" as the description. This is especially annoying with channel 7(PBS) since they have the main channel, and then four or five subchannels, and only the main channel actually gets a description, even though all 4-5 sub-channels are showing different things.
Is their anyway to get it to display the proper description for the sub-channels?

Hey RobertsD,

If the local ota channel is not one carried by Dish in your locals package, it won't have the channel information since that info is sent to the guide from the satellite.
I know how you feel, though. Where I am, I pick up about 10 channels/sub-channels that are all listed as just "local digital." I just have to remember that the Simpsons is on channel 64.1 at 7:30pm. :p

more signal, please!

Uplink Activity Report For Wednesday December 28th 2005 (none Yet)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)