more signal, please!

bweiteka

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Champaign, IL
Anyone know if there is a larger dish than the superdish that will accept a Dish FSS LNB? And has anyone successfully gotten signals above 100 on 105 using it? The reason I ask is I am working on a commercial job and one of the receivers is almost 800 feet from the dishes. Most receivers are getting 125 on 119 and 110, 70 for 105. This one problem receiver is getting around 85 on 119 and 110 even transponders and only 55 on 105 even transponders despite using several in line sonora amps. I am using 2 24" dishes for the dbs birds, regular SD for 105. I realize the problem is the length of cable, and that's what happens on even transponders with that length of rg6, but that stretch was pre-run and I don't want to tackle replacing it with rg-11 unless absolutely necessary. I am hoping that a bigger dish = more dB to spare for loss on that run. Any info is appreciated!

Ive gotten signal strength at %100 on the fss 121, if your already amping the signal and not getting a higher signal then a larger dish wont help either though Im not the official expert on here so much as simplesimon I believe is the one that has commercial experience.

800' is WAY over the limit. You're lucky it's working at all.

Multiple amps is not necessarily the way to go - remember, amps do NOT help signal-to-noise ratio, which is a big part of the Signal Quality number.

Besides going to RG-11 (which will very likely to solve the issue), is there any way to move the receiver closer, and then send IT'S output down to the end?

One thing to consider is if you go with RG11 make sure its swept tested to at least 2200mhz. If not then you won't be any better than using satellite rated RG6. At 800ft of coax those lnb's got to be starving for voltage. I assume that you are using solid copper center conductor coax cause if you weren't there isn't anyway those lnbs would be getting enough power. If you go to RG11 make sure that it has a solid copper center conductor because comparing the ohm resistance between Solid Copper RG6 and Copper Clad RG11, even though the RG11 has a bigger conductor, the RG6 has less resistance. Just some things to consider.

commercial job, beef it up to RG 11, also try centralizing your switches, so all the cable runs have similar lengths

Im sure someone can answer this, if he were to use a dpp44 does this effectively tell the receivers to not send power to the switch then or would they ( receivers also add their own power to the system? Im asking because I think that they will after yesterday and seeing first hand a superdish 3 tv setup run on a dpp44 without the power inserter and transformer in the system. If the receivers also send their power along with that of the switch to the system then its possible that the powered switch will solidify the system enough to help provide a more stable signal to the receiver thats 800 ft out.

what do you guys think?

Van said:
Im sure someone can answer this, if he were to use a dpp44 does this effectively tell the receivers to not send power to the switch then or would they ( receivers also add their own power to the system? Im asking because I think that they will after yesterday and seeing first hand a superdish 3 tv setup run on a dpp44 without the power inserter and transformer in the system. If the receivers also send their power along with that of the switch to the system then its possible that the powered switch will solidify the system enough to help provide a more stable signal to the receiver thats 800 ft out.
what do you guys think?

The receivers still would power the switch. The only port that needs power for the 44 switch to function is the 1st input. The power inserter is put in place so that input will not lose power if the reciever malfunctions and the whole system will not go down. I think I see what you are saying, he can try to get the power inserter closer to the dish if possible.

Edit: took out some words to make more sense. Wrote this on a rush.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts